Indentured Servitude

  • kay f
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 1:47 AM
      I am hoping someone here can tell me how I go about trying to locate records for ancestors who ended up working as Indentured Servants in order to pay off ships passage to America.

      I am trying to gather information on David Ackerman born abt 1798 in Basel Switzerland. At the age of 17, in 1815 he came to America with his parents and siblings. We do not have his mother or father's name. The father died on the journey over. David, Isaac, John, Jacob, Barbara, Marie and Fanny. On landing at New York City John, David, Marie and Barbara were sold by the ship's company, to pay off passage debt incurred because of about 3 months extra time at sea due to bad weather.The ship company received their pay from the earnings of the four children, which they had to work out until they reached legal age.This took David nearly four years and he served out his time on a farm in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The mother and her three younger children located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

      I have not been able to locate any census reports which show David on a farm in Dauphin,Co, PA. I have not located a census for the mother with the younger children (Isaac,Jacob and Fanny)

      The birth order on the Children appears to be John 1770/1780, Barbara, Marie, Fanny and Isaac all born between 1780/1800, Jacob between 1790/1800 and my direct ancestor, David, we know was born May 15, 1798

      I would like to know where in New York City I would inquire about Ship's Dockside Indenture sales and if it is possible to get copies of those records.

      There is also another Ackerman line which came to America from Holland but our line is not related to them, at least not that I've been able to determine at this time. If I could locate the names of the parents it might help.