Re: [Genealogy Research Club] finding a relative who's not on a census

  • Helen Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2012
      Try the local genealogy society. They often have city directories or other material that can be used as a "cenus-substitute."

      Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
      Administrative Director, Hallmark Society
      heritagelady@...

      On 2012-04-11, at 5:42 PM, NJREADERS@... wrote:

      > Does anyone have any tips on finding a relative who was born and died between US censuses? It was between 1890 and 1900 in upstate NY and they didn't have birth certificates and I bet, death certificates.
      >
      > I've checked ancestry.com and e-mailed anyone who had this girl in their tree. Haven't heard back yet.
      > thanks
      > peggy

    • Poker Pro
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2012
        I have ancestors from upstate New York as well. I found a sibling of My ancestor who was born and died in between the US Federal Census when I looked at the 1865 New York State Census. That's how I discovered the sibling. He was unknown prior to this. I believe there was also an 1895 New York State Census. You could look in that census.

        The other thought is to look at the church records. The baptism of the sibling of my ancestor was not in the church records. They had started recording this only a few months after he was baptised. That was in 1863. However by 1895, there should be a good chance your ancestor would be in the baptismal records of the church they belonged to.

        Regards, Jim
        http://www.hiddengenealogynuggets.com