Re: searching for Horse or Haus or ? and Lacy

  • solntsepyati
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15 10:15 AM
      While researching Gipson, an example being Frank Gipson of Old Yeller fame, it was found that his grandfather and his grandfather's sister arrived on a boat from the Old World wearing simply a tag: "Please take care of my children." A family named Gipson took them in. The problem is obvious.

      One Gipson family tree traces back to Robert Gipson. b. Yorkshire, England, in 1311. Upon arrival to the colonies, this line apparently settled in Massachusetts. The only York familiar to this writer is Eric York, b. Massachusetts, the puma biologist who died from pneumonic plague in Arizona. Lettie Horse may be an Indian.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Diane S" <dsanfilippo303@...> wrote:

      > In the approval of Rev. War pension for Captain William York, in addition to
      > the known York 'heirs' I found 'Lettie' Horse (this has really perplexed me)
      > and Margaret Lacy.
      >
      > I have no idea what their birth order but would be between 1790 when Thomas
      > York was born and 1799 when my 2nd great-grandfather Josiah Cowan York was
      > born.
      >
      > These sisters remained behind when most of the rest of the family migrated
      > to Carroll County in West Georgia abt 1826 along with a large group of
      > families from either Roane, Washington, or nearby counties in Tennessee.
      >
      > Some of the names were, besides York, - Blake, Philpot, Looney, Leathers,
      > and other men who formed the membership of The Pony Club...
      >
      > I have been unable to even find a 'hint' of the two sisters above.
      >
      > Thanks to anyone who has ANY information...
      >
      > Diane S Sanfilippo
      > dsanfilippo303@...

    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15 12:37 PM
        On 4/11/2012 9:43 PM, Diane S wrote:
        > In the approval of Rev. War pension for Captain William York, in
        > addition to the known York 'heirs' I found 'Lettie' Horse (this has
        > really perplexed me) and Margaret Lacy.

        They are probably married sisters of Capt William York, How do you know
        they were sisters? When did he he apply for a pension. Have you looked
        at the Census around the time of his application for Lacys and names
        similar to or sound like Hoars.

        The person who wrote the application was probably not Capt William and
        wrote what he thought he heard and how it was spelled.

        > I have no idea what their birth order but would be between 1790 when
        > Thomas York was born and 1799 when my 2nd great-grandfather Josiah
        > Cowan York was born.

        Where did the York families live before they migrated to Carroll County GA.

        > These sisters remained behind when most of the rest of the family
        > migrated to Carroll County in West Georgia abt 1826 along with a
        > large group of families from either Roane, Washington, or nearby
        > counties in Tennessee.
        >
        > Some of the names were, besides York, - Blake, Philpot, Looney,
        > Leathers, and other men who formed the membership of The Pony
        > Club...

        If these are some of the surname in Carroll County after 1826 they are
        irrelevant to your query.

        bob gillis