need suggestions where to go for research.

  • Shirley Patrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
      I have a great uncle who was tried for murder twice.

      11 July 1889 Ledbetter, Texas, Fayette Co. taken to Giddings, Lee Co.,
      Texas
      and
      10 March 1906 Harlingen, Cameron, Co. TX.

      Is there a way to do this on line

      Shirley

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
        I haven't checked them in awhile, but look at
        http://BlackSheepAncestors.com
        and the IBSSG (International BlackSheep Society of Genealogists)
        http://ibssg.org/blacksheep

        You can also check the various newspaper databases
        http://Ancestry.com and http://NewspaperArchive.com and others

        Related items: "How Do I Find Murder Cases?"
        http://www.ehow.com/how_6930058_do-murder-cases_.html
        "Old Texas Genealogy, News & History"
        http://theoldentimes.com/oldtexas_main.html

        Google: MURDER DATABASE ONLINE
        https://www.google.com/search?q=murder+database+online

        - Tom Knox, IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Patrick <shp1945@...> wrote:

        > I have a great uncle who was tried for murder twice.
        >
        > 11 July 1889 Ledbetter, Texas, Fayette Co. taken to Giddings, Lee Co., Texas and
        > 10 March 1906 Harlingen, Cameron, Co. TX.
        >
        > Is there a way to do this on line
        > Shirley

      • Sunny Shafer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
          try the local historical society. many old records were remanded to their custody.
          sunny
          IBSSG

          > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: tomknox2001@...
          > Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:10:41 +0000
          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: need suggestions for research: blacksheep
          >
          > I haven't checked them in awhile, but look at
          > http://BlackSheepAncestors.com
          > and the IBSSG (International BlackSheep Society of Genealogists)
          > http://ibssg.org/blacksheep
          >
          > You can also check the various newspaper databases
          > http://Ancestry.com and http://NewspaperArchive.com and others
          >
          > Related items: "How Do I Find Murder Cases?"
          > http://www.ehow.com/how_6930058_do-murder-cases_.html
          > "Old Texas Genealogy, News & History"
          > http://theoldentimes.com/oldtexas_main.html
          >
          > Google: MURDER DATABASE ONLINE
          > https://www.google.com/search?q=murder+database+online
          >
          > - Tom Knox, IBSSG
          >

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Patrick <shp1945@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a great uncle who was tried for murder twice.
          > >
          > > 11 July 1889 Ledbetter, Texas, Fayette Co. taken to Giddings, Lee Co., Texas and
          > > 10 March 1906 Harlingen, Cameron, Co. TX.
          > >
          > > Is there a way to do this on line
          > > Shirley

        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
            On 4/14/2012 9:08 PM, Shirley Patrick wrote:
            > I have a great uncle who was tried for murder twice.
            >
            > 11 July 1889 Ledbetter, Texas, Fayette Co. taken to Giddings, Lee Co.,
            > Texas and 10 March 1906 Harlingen, Cameron, Co. TX.

            Are you saying he was tried twice for the same murder or for separate
            murders?

            What are your sources for the exact dates and locations?

            Fayette County and Lee County are next to each other east of Austin.
            However Cameron County is way down at the southern end of the state.

            What information are you looking for? Have you written the county
            courthouses?

            bob gillis
          • Shirley Patrick
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
              i joined Genealogybank.com

              I found three articles date 12 mar 1906, 13 march 1906, and 1 Mar 1907 1st
              article tell of the killing, 2nd says said uncle posted bond, 3rd article
              says he was aquited this is all in Harlingen, Cameron Co., TX these were
              all printed in the Dallas Morning News.

              Family story is that Lon was with a Judge and the man Theodore Dix had
              threatened the judge. My Dad thought the Judge had killed the man and Lon
              said he did because if Lon did the killing he would be tried in the Judge's
              court. If the judge did the killing he would be tried in another judge's
              court.

              Dix's family says he was killed by cattle rustlers.

              Dix was buried in bayview cemetery and a web site about the people burried
              inBayView Cemetery in Corpus Christi. This article says Dix had threatened
              Lon.

              I have since found two more articles on Dix in Genealogybank.com
              both printed in Dallas Morning New

              31 Dec 1903 by line Corpus Christi
              Dix stole horses and a mule and some one sold them at a real low price and
              the Texas Ranger investigated this article told what happened and that Dix
              and the other man involved had posted bond.

              101 Feb 1889 by line corpus christi.
              Dix was let go after the third trial for a murder he supposed committed.
              Jury was hung for the 3rd time.

              From Genealogybank.com : Dallas Morning news 12 July 1889
              by line Ledbetter Texas 11 July 1889

              Dr. T. J. Jordan, a resident of this place, was killed here today about
              1:30 o'clock p. m. by Lon Hill of Manor. THe origin of the difficulty that
              caused the killing is unknown. Hill was taken to Giddings by the sheriff
              of Lee County this morning.

              Family lore is that this man spent the night in the house with Lon's wife
              and children when Lon was not home. Lon walked up and shot the man point
              blank. My Dad also said that his grandfather paid someone to help get Lon
              off. My may has read Great Grand father's journal and says you can see
              when GGrandfather wealth took a hit.

              On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Shirley Patrick <shp1945@...> wrote:

              > I have a great uncle who was tried for murder twice.
              >
              > 11 July 1889 Ledbetter, Texas, Fayette Co. taken to Giddings, Lee Co.,
              > Texas
              > and
              > 10 March 1906 Harlingen, Cameron, Co. TX.
              >
              > Is there a way to do this on line
              >
              > Shirley

            • Sunny Shafer
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
                Local historical societies many times end up with old institutional records.