finding a relative who's not on a census

  • NJREADERS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2012
      Does anyone have any tips on finding a relative who was born and died between US censuses? It was between 1890 and 1900 in upstate NY and they didn't have birth certificates and I bet, death certificates.

      I've checked ancestry.com and e-mailed anyone who had this girl in their tree. Haven't heard back yet.
      thanks
      peggy

    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2012
        On 4/11/2012 8:42 PM, NJREADERS@... wrote:

        > Does anyone have any tips on finding a relative who was born and died
        > between US censuses? It was between 1890 and 1900 in upstate NY and
        > they didn't have birth certificates and I bet, death certificates.

        familysearch.org has NYS Census 1892 and NY Births and Christenings
        1640 -1962 and New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952

        > I've checked ancestry.com and e-mailed anyone who had this girl in
        > their tree. Haven't heard back yet. thanks peggy

        What is your evidence that a girl was born to the family? The 1900 Census?
        Since the 1890 Census was destroyed long before any copies of it were
        made how do you know the years?

        Assuming the parents married in 1889/90 I would enter in my genealogy
        program an unnamed daughter for the parents born the year after the
        marriage and died before 1900

        bob gillis
      • Helen Edwards
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2012
          Try the local genealogy society. They often have city directories or other material that can be used as a "cenus-substitute."

          Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
          Administrative Director, Hallmark Society
          heritagelady@...

          On 2012-04-11, at 5:42 PM, NJREADERS@... wrote:

          > Does anyone have any tips on finding a relative who was born and died between US censuses? It was between 1890 and 1900 in upstate NY and they didn't have birth certificates and I bet, death certificates.
          >
          > I've checked ancestry.com and e-mailed anyone who had this girl in their tree. Haven't heard back yet.
          > thanks
          > peggy

        • Poker Pro
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2012
            I have ancestors from upstate New York as well. I found a sibling of My ancestor who was born and died in between the US Federal Census when I looked at the 1865 New York State Census. That's how I discovered the sibling. He was unknown prior to this. I believe there was also an 1895 New York State Census. You could look in that census.

            The other thought is to look at the church records. The baptism of the sibling of my ancestor was not in the church records. They had started recording this only a few months after he was baptised. That was in 1863. However by 1895, there should be a good chance your ancestor would be in the baptismal records of the church they belonged to.

            Regards, Jim
            http://www.hiddengenealogynuggets.com