Re: Ivar K SANDBERG (b.1882 Norway)

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
      I presume that you already have these,
      but I like to check the sources for myself -
      sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

      Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
      Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
      Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
      Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
      Death County: Grant
      Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
      State File Number: 025743
      Certificate Number: 025743
      Certificate Year: 1973
      Record Number: 1894985
      NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

      1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
      Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
      (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

      1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
      Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

      Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
      Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
      Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
      Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
      Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

      U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
      Name: Ivar Sandberg
      Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
      Birth Place: Grono, Norway
      Age: 37
      Residence: Barrett, Minn
      Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
      Father Name: Anton Parelie
      Father's Birth Location: Norway
      Father's Residence: Deceased
      Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
      NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

      U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
      Name: Ivar Sandberg
      Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
      Birth Place: Norway
      Age at event: 26
      Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
      Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
      Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

      This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
      1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
      location: Luther College
      Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
      Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
      Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
      Elma Bersager 18

      This might be his immigration record -
      Name: Iver Sandbeck
      Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
      Birth Year: abt 1882
      Age: 17
      Gender: Male
      Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
      Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
      Port of Arrival: New York, New York
      Ship Name: Campania
      NOTES: line 22
      last residence: Christiania
      destination: Minneapolis Min.
      <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

      Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
      <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

      This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
      New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
      Name: Ivar Sandberg
      Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
      Birth Year: abt 1882
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Port of Departure: Christiania
      Port of Arrival: New York, New York
      Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
      <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

      wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
      "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
      http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
      m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

      If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
      then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
      Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

      For his family back in Norway -
      have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
      http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
      Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
      (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

      > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
      > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
      > Ann

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
        > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

        There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
        Stearns County includes St. Cloud
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

        Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
        http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

        Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
        http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
        look at Province of Nordland ?
        Also 1910 census available

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

        > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
        > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
        > Ann

      • bob gillis
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
          On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
          > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
          > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
          > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
          > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
          > Norwegian ].

          I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
          Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
          site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

          First Name: Iver
          Last Name: Sandbeck
          Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
          Last Place of Residence: Christiania
          Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
          Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
          Ship of Travel: Campania
          Port of Departure: Liverpool
          Manifest Line Number: 0022
          He was going to Minneapolis, MN

          Is this your Ivor

          > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
          > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
          > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
          > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
          > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
          > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
          > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
          > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
          > went there or not.

          Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
          Route US 71

          There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
          is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

          Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

          > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
          > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
          > which lists his parents and his sister.

          Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

          > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
          >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
          >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
          >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
          >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
          >
          > NOTE: I'm trying
          >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
          >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
          >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
          >> Antonsen.

          Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

          bob gillis