Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New Here

  • Ann Courtney
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
      My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
      As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

      Ann

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3 11:09 PM
        I presume that you already have these,
        but I like to check the sources for myself -
        sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

        Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
        Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
        Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
        Death County: Grant
        Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
        State File Number: 025743
        Certificate Number: 025743
        Certificate Year: 1973
        Record Number: 1894985
        NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

        1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
        Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
        (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

        1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
        Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

        Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
        Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
        Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
        Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

        U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
        Name: Ivar Sandberg
        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
        Birth Place: Grono, Norway
        Age: 37
        Residence: Barrett, Minn
        Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
        Father Name: Anton Parelie
        Father's Birth Location: Norway
        Father's Residence: Deceased
        Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
        NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

        U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
        Name: Ivar Sandberg
        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
        Birth Place: Norway
        Age at event: 26
        Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
        Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
        Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

        This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
        1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
        location: Luther College
        Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
        Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
        Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
        Elma Bersager 18

        This might be his immigration record -
        Name: Iver Sandbeck
        Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
        Birth Year: abt 1882
        Age: 17
        Gender: Male
        Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
        Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
        Ship Name: Campania
        NOTES: line 22
        last residence: Christiania
        destination: Minneapolis Min.
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

        Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

        This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
        New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
        Name: Ivar Sandberg
        Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
        Birth Year: abt 1882
        Age: 38
        Gender: Male
        Port of Departure: Christiania
        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
        Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

        wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
        "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
        http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
        m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

        If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
        then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
        Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

        For his family back in Norway -
        have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
        http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
        Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
        (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

        > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
        > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
        > Ann

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 11:41 PM
          > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

          There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
          Stearns County includes St. Cloud
          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

          Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
          http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

          Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
          http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
          look at Province of Nordland ?
          Also 1910 census available

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

          > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
          > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
          > Ann

        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4 1:50 PM
            On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
            > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
            > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
            > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
            > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
            > Norwegian ].

            I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
            Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
            site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

            First Name: Iver
            Last Name: Sandbeck
            Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
            Last Place of Residence: Christiania
            Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
            Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
            Ship of Travel: Campania
            Port of Departure: Liverpool
            Manifest Line Number: 0022
            He was going to Minneapolis, MN

            Is this your Ivor

            > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
            > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
            > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
            > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
            > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
            > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
            > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
            > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
            > went there or not.

            Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
            Route US 71

            There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
            is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

            Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

            > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
            > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
            > which lists his parents and his sister.

            Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

            > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
            >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
            >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
            >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
            >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
            >
            > NOTE: I'm trying
            >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
            >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
            >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
            >> Antonsen.

            Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

            bob gillis