Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New Here

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
      if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
        My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
        As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

        Ann

        > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
        > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
        > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
        > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

        NOTE: I'm trying
        > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
        > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
        > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

        What are the sources for your information?

        When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
        they were married, Town and County.

        From Familysearch.org this may be he:

        New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
        Surname: Sandberg
        Last Place of Residence: New York, America
        Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
        Age at Arrival: 24y
        Ethnicity: Sweden
        Port of Departure: Christiania
        Port of Arrival: New York
        Gender: Male
        Marital Status: S
        US Citizen:
        Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

        The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
        have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
        Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

        However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
        NY that matches the PAR.

        You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
        http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
        I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

        He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

        United States Census, 1920 for
        Name: Marion Sandberg
        Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
        Estimated Birth Year: 1888
        Age: 32
        Birthplace: Minnesota
        Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
        Gender: Female
        Race: White
        Marital Status: Married
        Father's Birthplace:
        Mother's Birthplace:
        Film Number: 1820826
        Digital Folder Number: 4312174
        Image Number: 00956
        Sheet Number: 7
        Household Gender Age
        Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
        Marion Sandberg F 32y
        Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

        and in 1930

        bob gillis

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
          I presume that you already have these,
          but I like to check the sources for myself -
          sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

          Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
          Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
          Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
          Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
          Death County: Grant
          Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
          State File Number: 025743
          Certificate Number: 025743
          Certificate Year: 1973
          Record Number: 1894985
          NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

          1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
          Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
          (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

          1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
          Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

          Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
          Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
          Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
          Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
          Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

          U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
          Name: Ivar Sandberg
          Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
          Birth Place: Grono, Norway
          Age: 37
          Residence: Barrett, Minn
          Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
          Father Name: Anton Parelie
          Father's Birth Location: Norway
          Father's Residence: Deceased
          Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
          NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

          U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
          Name: Ivar Sandberg
          Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
          Birth Place: Norway
          Age at event: 26
          Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
          Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
          Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

          This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
          1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
          location: Luther College
          Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
          Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
          Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
          Elma Bersager 18

          This might be his immigration record -
          Name: Iver Sandbeck
          Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
          Birth Year: abt 1882
          Age: 17
          Gender: Male
          Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
          Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
          Port of Arrival: New York, New York
          Ship Name: Campania
          NOTES: line 22
          last residence: Christiania
          destination: Minneapolis Min.
          <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

          Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
          <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

          This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
          New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
          Name: Ivar Sandberg
          Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
          Birth Year: abt 1882
          Age: 38
          Gender: Male
          Port of Departure: Christiania
          Port of Arrival: New York, New York
          Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
          <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

          wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
          "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
          http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
          m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

          If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
          then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
          Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

          For his family back in Norway -
          have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
          http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
          Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
          (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

          > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
          > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
          > Ann

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
            > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

            There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
            Stearns County includes St. Cloud
            http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

            Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
            http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

            Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
            http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
            look at Province of Nordland ?
            Also 1910 census available

            - Tom Knox

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

            > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
            > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
            > Ann

          • bob gillis
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
              On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
              > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
              > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
              > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
              > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
              > Norwegian ].

              I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
              Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
              site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

              First Name: Iver
              Last Name: Sandbeck
              Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
              Last Place of Residence: Christiania
              Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
              Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
              Ship of Travel: Campania
              Port of Departure: Liverpool
              Manifest Line Number: 0022
              He was going to Minneapolis, MN

              Is this your Ivor

              > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
              > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
              > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
              > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
              > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
              > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
              > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
              > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
              > went there or not.

              Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
              Route US 71

              There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
              is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

              Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

              > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
              > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
              > which lists his parents and his sister.

              Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

              > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
              >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
              >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
              >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
              >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
              >
              > NOTE: I'm trying
              >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
              >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
              >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
              >> Antonsen.

              Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

              bob gillis