Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New Here

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
      On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
      > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
      > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
      > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
      > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

      NOTE: I'm trying
      > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
      > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
      > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

      What are the sources for your information?

      When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
      they were married, Town and County.

      From Familysearch.org this may be he:

      New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
      Surname: Sandberg
      Last Place of Residence: New York, America
      Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
      Age at Arrival: 24y
      Ethnicity: Sweden
      Port of Departure: Christiania
      Port of Arrival: New York
      Gender: Male
      Marital Status: S
      US Citizen:
      Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

      The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
      have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
      Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

      However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
      NY that matches the PAR.

      You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
      http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
      I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

      He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

      United States Census, 1920 for
      Name: Marion Sandberg
      Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
      Estimated Birth Year: 1888
      Age: 32
      Birthplace: Minnesota
      Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
      Gender: Female
      Race: White
      Marital Status: Married
      Father's Birthplace:
      Mother's Birthplace:
      Film Number: 1820826
      Digital Folder Number: 4312174
      Image Number: 00956
      Sheet Number: 7
      Household Gender Age
      Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
      Marion Sandberg F 32y
      Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

      and in 1930

      bob gillis
    • Trish
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
        if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
          My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
          As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

          Ann

          > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
          > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
          > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
          > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

          NOTE: I'm trying
          > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
          > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
          > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

          What are the sources for your information?

          When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
          they were married, Town and County.

          From Familysearch.org this may be he:

          New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
          Surname: Sandberg
          Last Place of Residence: New York, America
          Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
            I presume that you already have these,
            but I like to check the sources for myself -
            sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

            Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
            Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
            Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
            Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
            Death County: Grant
            Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
            State File Number: 025743
            Certificate Number: 025743
            Certificate Year: 1973
            Record Number: 1894985
            NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

            1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
            Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
            (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

            1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
            Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

            Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
            Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
            Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
            Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
            Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

            U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
            Name: Ivar Sandberg
            Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
            Birth Place: Grono, Norway
            Age: 37
            Residence: Barrett, Minn
            Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
            Father Name: Anton Parelie
            Father's Birth Location: Norway
            Father's Residence: Deceased
            Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
            NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

            U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
            Name: Ivar Sandberg
            Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
            Birth Place: Norway
            Age at event: 26
            Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
            Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
            Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

            This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
            1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
            location: Luther College
            Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
            Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
            Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
            Elma Bersager 18

            This might be his immigration record -
            Name: Iver Sandbeck
            Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
            Birth Year: abt 1882
            Age: 17
            Gender: Male
            Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
            Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
            Port of Arrival: New York, New York
            Ship Name: Campania
            NOTES: line 22
            last residence: Christiania
            destination: Minneapolis Min.
            <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

            Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
            <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

            This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
            New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
            Name: Ivar Sandberg
            Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
            Birth Year: abt 1882
            Age: 38
            Gender: Male
            Port of Departure: Christiania
            Port of Arrival: New York, New York
            Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
            <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

            wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
            "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
            http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
            m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

            If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
            then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
            Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

            For his family back in Norway -
            have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
            http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
            Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
            (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

            - Tom Knox

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

            > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
            > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
            > Ann

          • Bloodhound; Kermit
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
              > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

              There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
              Stearns County includes St. Cloud
              http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

              Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
              http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

              Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
              http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
              look at Province of Nordland ?
              Also 1910 census available

              - Tom Knox

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

              > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
              > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
              > Ann

            • bob gillis
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
                On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                > Norwegian ].

                I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                First Name: Iver
                Last Name: Sandbeck
                Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                Ship of Travel: Campania
                Port of Departure: Liverpool
                Manifest Line Number: 0022
                He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                Is this your Ivor

                > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                > went there or not.

                Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                Route US 71

                There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                > which lists his parents and his sister.

                Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                >
                > NOTE: I'm trying
                >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                >> Antonsen.

                Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                bob gillis