New Here

  • Ann
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
      I'd like to thank you for letting me join your group. I hope that you can help me with my brickwalls. My name is Ann Courtney. I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years now. I'm researching many lines and these are the main ones that I have been working on:

      Riggin/Riggins--Ireland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin

      Sandberg--Norway, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

      Fielman--Germany, Wisconsin

      Prevo/Prevost--France, Canada, Michigan

      Courtney--Ireland, Wisconsin

      Liptow--Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin

      Chrazanowski--Poland, Michigan

      At the moment, I have 4 brickwalls that I really could have some help with. I don't have full access to any of the pay sites.

      1) William Riggin b-abt 1688, Lancaster, Virginia d-unk
      married to Elizabeth Bridget abt 1713, Virginia
      Children:
      Elizabeth,John, William Powell,Kizziah, Bridget and Winniford.
      NOTE:
      My problem with this family, I can't find anything on William and Elizabeth.

      2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973, Minnesota
      married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin
      They had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
      His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
      NOTE:
      I'm trying to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

      3) Edmond Courtney b-1832, County Kerry, Ireland d-12/19/1911, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
      married Mary Madigan before 1850, New Hampshire (according to his obit)
      They had 6 children.
      NOTE:
      I can't find anything on him before 1860. He and his family, 3 children, were living in Afton, Rock, Wisconsin in 1860. According to this Census Record, the 2 oldest children were born in New York and the 3rd was born in Wisconsin. According to his obit, they moved to Afton in 1850 but there's no Census Record of them living there.

      4) Mieczyalas "John" Chrazanowski b-6/14/1888, German Poland d-9/28/1932, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
      married Catherine Przeslawski, 10/18/1909, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
      b-10/31/1891, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
      d-6/4/1975, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
      They had 6 children.
      NOTE:
      I can't find anything on Mieczyalas before 1909. I also can't find out who his parents are. I did contact the cemetery and they haven't gotten back to me!
    • Gene Bremer
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
        Welcome Ann! Good luck with everything

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
          On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
          > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
          > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
          > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
          > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

          NOTE: I'm trying
          > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
          > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
          > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

          What are the sources for your information?

          When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
          they were married, Town and County.

          From Familysearch.org this may be he:

          New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
          Surname: Sandberg
          Last Place of Residence: New York, America
          Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
          Age at Arrival: 24y
          Ethnicity: Sweden
          Port of Departure: Christiania
          Port of Arrival: New York
          Gender: Male
          Marital Status: S
          US Citizen:
          Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

          The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
          have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
          Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

          However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
          NY that matches the PAR.

          You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
          http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
          I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

          He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

          United States Census, 1920 for
          Name: Marion Sandberg
          Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
          Estimated Birth Year: 1888
          Age: 32
          Birthplace: Minnesota
          Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
          Gender: Female
          Race: White
          Marital Status: Married
          Father's Birthplace:
          Mother's Birthplace:
          Film Number: 1820826
          Digital Folder Number: 4312174
          Image Number: 00956
          Sheet Number: 7
          Household Gender Age
          Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
          Marion Sandberg F 32y
          Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

          and in 1930

          bob gillis
        • Trish
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
            if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
              My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
              As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

              Ann

              > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
              > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
              > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
              > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

              NOTE: I'm trying
              > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
              > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
              > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

              What are the sources for your information?

              When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
              they were married, Town and County.

              From Familysearch.org this may be he:

              New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
              Surname: Sandberg
              Last Place of Residence: New York, America
              Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                I presume that you already have these,
                but I like to check the sources for myself -
                sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

                Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
                Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
                Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
                Death County: Grant
                Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
                State File Number: 025743
                Certificate Number: 025743
                Certificate Year: 1973
                Record Number: 1894985
                NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

                1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
                Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
                (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

                1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

                Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
                Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
                Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
                Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

                U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                Name: Ivar Sandberg
                Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                Birth Place: Grono, Norway
                Age: 37
                Residence: Barrett, Minn
                Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
                Father Name: Anton Parelie
                Father's Birth Location: Norway
                Father's Residence: Deceased
                Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
                NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

                U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
                Name: Ivar Sandberg
                Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                Birth Place: Norway
                Age at event: 26
                Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
                Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
                Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

                This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
                1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
                location: Luther College
                Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
                Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
                Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
                Elma Bersager 18

                This might be his immigration record -
                Name: Iver Sandbeck
                Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
                Birth Year: abt 1882
                Age: 17
                Gender: Male
                Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
                Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
                Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                Ship Name: Campania
                NOTES: line 22
                last residence: Christiania
                destination: Minneapolis Min.
                <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

                Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
                <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
                New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                Name: Ivar Sandberg
                Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
                Birth Year: abt 1882
                Age: 38
                Gender: Male
                Port of Departure: Christiania
                Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
                <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
                "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
                http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
                m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

                If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
                then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
                Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

                For his family back in Norway -
                have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
                http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
                Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
                (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                > Ann

              • Bloodhound; Kermit
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                  > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

                  There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
                  Stearns County includes St. Cloud
                  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

                  Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
                  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

                  Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
                  http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
                  look at Province of Nordland ?
                  Also 1910 census available

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                  > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                  > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                  > Ann

                • bob gillis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
                    On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                    > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                    > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                    > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                    > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                    > Norwegian ].

                    I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                    Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                    site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                    First Name: Iver
                    Last Name: Sandbeck
                    Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                    Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                    Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                    Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                    Ship of Travel: Campania
                    Port of Departure: Liverpool
                    Manifest Line Number: 0022
                    He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                    Is this your Ivor

                    > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                    > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                    > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                    > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                    > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                    > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                    > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                    > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                    > went there or not.

                    Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                    Route US 71

                    There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                    is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                    Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                    > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                    > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                    > which lists his parents and his sister.

                    Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                    > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                    >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                    >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                    >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                    >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                    >
                    > NOTE: I'm trying
                    >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                    >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                    >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                    >> Antonsen.

                    Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                    bob gillis