Re: Brick wall: TRIG/TRIGG, Benjamin; b. ca. Nov 1866 in CO, died ??

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2012
      Gee, it would be nice to find any of the TRIGGs in the 1870 census!

      1880 El Paso, Colorado
      Trigg, Isabel/43:VA:VA:VA/head/widow
      Martin, Fendol/74:VA:VA:VA/father, J W/28:MO:VA:VA/brother
      Trigg, Phama/13:CO:MO:VA/dau, Benjamin/12:CO:MO:VA/son

      1885 El Paso, Colorado
      Trigg, Isabella, head 48 widow born VA:VA:VA
      Martin, J W, 32 son born MO:VA:VA
      Martin, Fendol, 76 father born VA:VA:VA
      Churchill, Ben, 34 boarder born NY:NY:NY

      Could this be "Phama"? Notice her ages & birthplaces -

      1900 Macham, Malheur, Oregon
      Farley Mcdonnell 41 married born Can:Can:Can, imm:1879
      Thammie Mcdonnell 33 married born CO:MO:VA
      - married 15 years, 0 children
      Artie Knapp 13 born CA:CA:CA, boarder

      1910 Malheur, Malheur, Oregon
      Finley J Mcdonald 51 born Can:Can:Can, imm:1882
      Mabel Mcdonald 43 born CO:IL:VA
      - married 26 years, 3 children (x living not specified)
      Joseph Britz, cook 35 born WI:WI:WI

      1920 Brogan, Malheur, Oregon
      Finlay Mcdonell 60 born Can:Can:Can, imm:1884(?)
      Mable Mcdonell 51 born CO:US:VA
      Lawton Schuchardt laborer 14 born CA
      Jake Ingenthron laborer 26 born KS

      1930 Marble Front, Canyon, Idaho
      F J Mcdonald 70 widow born Can:Can:Can, imm:1880
      Ben Trigg 60 brother-in-law single born CO:MO:VA
      NOTE: surname does look like TRIGG

      Idaho > Caldwell > 1945
      > Polk's Caldwell (Canyon County, Idaho) City Directory
      > page 139, image 72
      Trigg Ben h318 Blaine

      Idaho > Caldwell > 1948
      > Polk's Caldwell (Canyon County, Idaho) City Directory
      > page 135, image 69
      Trigg Ben h318 Blaine

      Idaho Death Index, 1911-51
      Name: Trigg, Ben
      Year: 1951
      Certificate Number: 004197
      County of Death: Canyon
      City: Caldwell
      Date of Death: 19 Nov 1951
      Date of Birth: 15 Nov 1863

      Ogden Standard Examiner (Ogden, Utah)
      1951 > November > 20 > Page 10
      (Column 1, near the bottom)
      Idaho Deaths
      Ben Trigg, 92, retired Caldwell miner.

      Is this the same guy?
      Oregon, Death Index, 1898-2008
      Name: Finley J McDonell
      Death Date: 28 Jul 1953
      Death Place: Multnomah
      Certificate: 8350
      It is apparently NOT the same guy, as I also found
      4 Public Member Trees for : Finley Joseph McDonell
      Birth: 5 Aug 1886 - Manitoba, Canada
      Death: 28 Jul 1953 - Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, USA
      which is NOT the same man found in the censuses above.

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mdeweygardner" <mdeweygardner@...> wrote:

      > This is what I know: Ben Trigg was born ca. 1866 in Colorado to Isabel Martin Trigg (b. ca 1837 in VA to Fendol L. Martin and Jane F. Davis... I have some info on Isabel's line).
      >
      > I have no information at all about Ben's father. Isabel is listed as a widow in later censuses, the census in 1880 lists that she was married around 1865 to Trigg (first name unknown).
      >
      > Ben had a sister listed in the 1880 census named Phama Trigg, she was born ca. 1867.
      >
      > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
      >
      > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
      >
      > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
      >
      > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
      >
      > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mark

    • mdeweygardner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012
        Thanks Tom, this is very helpful... maybe some cracks in the brick wall!
        Mark

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
        > >
        > > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
        > >
        > > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
        > >
        > > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
        > >
        > > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2012
          more bits & pieces -

          > 1930 Marble Front, Canyon, Idaho
          > F J Mcdonald 70 widow born Can:Can:Can, imm:1880
          > Ben Trigg 60 brother-in-law single born CO:MO:VA

          F.J. McDonnell/McDonald, husband of Phama/Thammie/Mabel ?
          Idaho Death Index, 1911-51
          Name: McDonell, Finley J.
          Year: 1934
          Certificate Number: 087439
          County of Death: Canyon
          City: Caldwell
          Date of Death: 6 Feb 1934
          Date of Birth: 10 Apr 1857

          > 1880 El Paso, Colorado
          > Trigg, Isabel/43:VA:VA:VA/head/widow
          > Martin, Fendol/74:VA:VA:VA/father, J W/28:MO:VA:VA/brother
          > Trigg, Phama/13:CO:MO:VA/dau, Benjamin/12:CO:MO:VA/son

          This could be Ben Trigg in 1885 -
          1885 El Paso, Colorado (state census)
          Peabody, Jno, 35 married stockman born MS
          (), Abbie, 34 married housewife born MS
          Trigg, Benj, 17 single boarder laborer born CO:MO:MO
          NOTE: indexed as FRIGG

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

          > - Tom Knox
          >

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mdeweygardner" <mdeweygardner@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is what I know: Ben Trigg was born ca. 1866 in Colorado to Isabel Martin Trigg (b. ca 1837 in VA to Fendol L. Martin and Jane F. Davis... I have some info on Isabel's line).
          > >
          > > I have no information at all about Ben's father. Isabel is listed as a widow in later censuses, the census in 1880 lists that she was married around 1865 to Trigg (first name unknown).
          > >
          > > Ben had a sister listed in the 1880 census named Phama Trigg, she was born ca. 1867.
          > >
          > > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
          > >
          > > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
          > > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
          > >
          > > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
          > >
          > > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Mark

        • mdeweygardner
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2012
            I think we're getting somewhere, a few lines down from Finley J. and Mabel in the 1910 Malheur Co., OR census are the Gardners of my line... proximity often means something in these old mining towns!