Brick wall: TRIG/TRIGG, Benjamin; b. ca. Nov 1866 in CO, died ??

  • mdeweygardner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4 8:06 AM
      This is what I know: Ben Trigg was born ca. 1866 in Colorado to Isabel Martin Trigg (b. ca 1837 in VA to Fendol L. Martin and Jane F. Davis... I have some info on Isabel's line).

      I have no information at all about Ben's father. Isabel is listed as a widow in later censuses, the census in 1880 lists that she was married around 1865 to Trigg (first name unknown).

      Ben had a sister listed in the 1880 census named Phama Trigg, she was born ca. 1867.

      Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.

      Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).

      Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.

      I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?

      I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5 1:42 PM
        Gee, it would be nice to find any of the TRIGGs in the 1870 census!

        1880 El Paso, Colorado
        Trigg, Isabel/43:VA:VA:VA/head/widow
        Martin, Fendol/74:VA:VA:VA/father, J W/28:MO:VA:VA/brother
        Trigg, Phama/13:CO:MO:VA/dau, Benjamin/12:CO:MO:VA/son

        1885 El Paso, Colorado
        Trigg, Isabella, head 48 widow born VA:VA:VA
        Martin, J W, 32 son born MO:VA:VA
        Martin, Fendol, 76 father born VA:VA:VA
        Churchill, Ben, 34 boarder born NY:NY:NY

        Could this be "Phama"? Notice her ages & birthplaces -

        1900 Macham, Malheur, Oregon
        Farley Mcdonnell 41 married born Can:Can:Can, imm:1879
        Thammie Mcdonnell 33 married born CO:MO:VA
        - married 15 years, 0 children
        Artie Knapp 13 born CA:CA:CA, boarder

        1910 Malheur, Malheur, Oregon
        Finley J Mcdonald 51 born Can:Can:Can, imm:1882
        Mabel Mcdonald 43 born CO:IL:VA
        - married 26 years, 3 children (x living not specified)
        Joseph Britz, cook 35 born WI:WI:WI

        1920 Brogan, Malheur, Oregon
        Finlay Mcdonell 60 born Can:Can:Can, imm:1884(?)
        Mable Mcdonell 51 born CO:US:VA
        Lawton Schuchardt laborer 14 born CA
        Jake Ingenthron laborer 26 born KS

        1930 Marble Front, Canyon, Idaho
        F J Mcdonald 70 widow born Can:Can:Can, imm:1880
        Ben Trigg 60 brother-in-law single born CO:MO:VA
        NOTE: surname does look like TRIGG

        Idaho > Caldwell > 1945
        > Polk's Caldwell (Canyon County, Idaho) City Directory
        > page 139, image 72
        Trigg Ben h318 Blaine

        Idaho > Caldwell > 1948
        > Polk's Caldwell (Canyon County, Idaho) City Directory
        > page 135, image 69
        Trigg Ben h318 Blaine

        Idaho Death Index, 1911-51
        Name: Trigg, Ben
        Year: 1951
        Certificate Number: 004197
        County of Death: Canyon
        City: Caldwell
        Date of Death: 19 Nov 1951
        Date of Birth: 15 Nov 1863

        Ogden Standard Examiner (Ogden, Utah)
        1951 > November > 20 > Page 10
        (Column 1, near the bottom)
        Idaho Deaths
        Ben Trigg, 92, retired Caldwell miner.

        Is this the same guy?
        Oregon, Death Index, 1898-2008
        Name: Finley J McDonell
        Death Date: 28 Jul 1953
        Death Place: Multnomah
        Certificate: 8350
        It is apparently NOT the same guy, as I also found
        4 Public Member Trees for : Finley Joseph McDonell
        Birth: 5 Aug 1886 - Manitoba, Canada
        Death: 28 Jul 1953 - Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, USA
        which is NOT the same man found in the censuses above.

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mdeweygardner" <mdeweygardner@...> wrote:

        > This is what I know: Ben Trigg was born ca. 1866 in Colorado to Isabel Martin Trigg (b. ca 1837 in VA to Fendol L. Martin and Jane F. Davis... I have some info on Isabel's line).
        >
        > I have no information at all about Ben's father. Isabel is listed as a widow in later censuses, the census in 1880 lists that she was married around 1865 to Trigg (first name unknown).
        >
        > Ben had a sister listed in the 1880 census named Phama Trigg, she was born ca. 1867.
        >
        > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
        >
        > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
        >
        > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
        >
        > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
        >
        > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

      • mdeweygardner
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6 6:57 PM
          Thanks Tom, this is very helpful... maybe some cracks in the brick wall!
          Mark

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
          > >
          > > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
          > >
          > > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
          > >
          > > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
          > >
          > > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7 8:55 AM
            more bits & pieces -

            > 1930 Marble Front, Canyon, Idaho
            > F J Mcdonald 70 widow born Can:Can:Can, imm:1880
            > Ben Trigg 60 brother-in-law single born CO:MO:VA

            F.J. McDonnell/McDonald, husband of Phama/Thammie/Mabel ?
            Idaho Death Index, 1911-51
            Name: McDonell, Finley J.
            Year: 1934
            Certificate Number: 087439
            County of Death: Canyon
            City: Caldwell
            Date of Death: 6 Feb 1934
            Date of Birth: 10 Apr 1857

            > 1880 El Paso, Colorado
            > Trigg, Isabel/43:VA:VA:VA/head/widow
            > Martin, Fendol/74:VA:VA:VA/father, J W/28:MO:VA:VA/brother
            > Trigg, Phama/13:CO:MO:VA/dau, Benjamin/12:CO:MO:VA/son

            This could be Ben Trigg in 1885 -
            1885 El Paso, Colorado (state census)
            Peabody, Jno, 35 married stockman born MS
            (), Abbie, 34 married housewife born MS
            Trigg, Benj, 17 single boarder laborer born CO:MO:MO
            NOTE: indexed as FRIGG

            - Tom Knox

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

            > - Tom Knox
            >

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mdeweygardner" <mdeweygardner@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is what I know: Ben Trigg was born ca. 1866 in Colorado to Isabel Martin Trigg (b. ca 1837 in VA to Fendol L. Martin and Jane F. Davis... I have some info on Isabel's line).
            > >
            > > I have no information at all about Ben's father. Isabel is listed as a widow in later censuses, the census in 1880 lists that she was married around 1865 to Trigg (first name unknown).
            > >
            > > Ben had a sister listed in the 1880 census named Phama Trigg, she was born ca. 1867.
            > >
            > > Ben was in Malheur, Oregon in the 1900 Census, where he was listed as a border with Aaron Gardner.
            > >
            > > Ben had a son (Alfred Gardner, b. 1898) with Aaron's daughter Dora Gardner (Ben and Dora never married, Dora also had another son with a different man with whom she never married either, and then she died young... sounds scandalous).
            > > Alfred is my paternal gr-grandfather, so Ben is my 2x-great-grandfather.
            > >
            > > I do not know what became of Ben Trigg. I found a Ben Trigy (perhaps transcription error) listed in the 1930 census in Marble, Idaho, listed as the brother-in-law of an F.D. McDonald. Perhaps Phama's husband?
            > >
            > > I'm curious what became of him, but also in particular about his paternal line, since I know nothing of Ben's father. Any info about Benjamin Trigg, Phama Trigg (female) or their father FNU Trigg, would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks, Mark

          • mdeweygardner
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7 7:11 PM
              I think we're getting somewhere, a few lines down from Finley J. and Mabel in the 1910 Malheur Co., OR census are the Gardners of my line... proximity often means something in these old mining towns!