Looking for the father of Abel K Boatwright

  • lmhill0216
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3 3:58 PM
      Abel was born in 1847 -- I think in Mississippi. He married Julia Denley and his mother's name was Hester Cannon. Any help is appreciated!
    • mccgram
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22 3:49 PM
        His Father was apparently gone/deceased by 1860 as he's with his mother Hester and family ame: Abel Boatwright
        residence: , Choctaw, Mississippi
        ward: Township 21
        age: 10 years
        estimated birth year: 1850
        birthplace: Mississippi
        gender: Male
        page: 214
        family number: 1480
        film number: 803579
        dgs number: 4233362
        image number: 00410
        nara number: M653
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lmhill0216" <lisa6453@...> wrote:

        > Abel was born in 1847 -- I think in Mississippi. He married Julia Denley and his mother's name was Hester Cannon. Any help is appreciated!

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
          > > Abel was born in 1847 --

          Abel was apparently born in late 1850 - he's not on the 1850 census:

          1860 Township 21, Choctaw, Mississippi
          Boatwright, Hester A/42, Lorenzo D/26, Francis A/21,
          (), Charles/20:AL, James M/15:AL, Abel/10:MS
          Girtruda Dumas /14

          1850 Subdivision 23, Choctaw, Mississippi
          Boatright, Hesteran/35, Loranza/14, Jane/12:AL, Francis/11:AL,
          (), Charles/9:AL, James/5:AL
          NOTE: Hester only aged 7 years between 10-year censuses!

          I do not find a surname BOAT* in 1840 Choctaw County (MS),
          except for Henry BOATMAN & family (who is also on the 1850 census).

          Looking at the birthstates of the children in the censuses :
          maybe we should be looking in 1840 Alabama.

          There are three BOAT*IGHT in the 1840 Alabama census -
          James Boatright - Conecuh, Alabama -- 3....1.......-1....1.......
          Saml Boatright -- Franklin, Alabama - ...1....1....-..11..1......
          Wm Boatwright --- Wilcox, Alabama --- 2....1.......-....1........

          Assuming that the youngsters in the 1850 census are the children of the same household, then the corresponding 1840 census household should have at least 2 males below the age of 5 and at least 1 female below the age of 5, and at least 1 female in the age range 20-29 = 2............-1...1........

          Hmm - 1840 "James Boatright" is a possibility -
          first son named JAMES, a matching number of children under age 5 -
          problem is that the wife's age in the 1840 census doesn't fit -
          or maybe she didn't age 10 years between censuses again?
          Could it be the right family but with a different wife?
          Or not the right family at all?

          - Tom Knox