Re: [Genealogy Research Club] MARCH Family was [BROCHERS Brothers ~can you help me???]

  • dawn
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
      not sure of religion..... i have Martha's birth certificate
      and her naturalization papers... BC is written in german though
      i will post under photos name it Martha March
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis <robertgillis@...> wrote:

      > On 1/27/2012 11:22 PM, dawn wrote:
      >
      > snip
      > >> I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
      > >> America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
      > >> Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
      > >> 1903 and Robert March 1904
      > >> Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
      > >> US .....would be great toooo :-)
      >
      > And I replied:
      >
      > Per the Ellis Island records
      > > The family came from Charlottenburg Germany on the Kaiserin Augusta Victoria
      > > Sailing from Cherbourg, France arriving 4 Apr 1910. There were also two
      > > women age 25 on the same ship: Johanna Schweder and Katharina Dagenkalb.
      > > Charlottenburg was/is a suburb/part of Berlin.
      >
      > Searching familysearch.org historical records I do not find any marriage
      > for a Johannes March and (--?--) Albrecht nor the births of Martha,
      > Albert or Robert in Germany.
      >
      > The records that have the surname March are US Census, 1,790 records.
      > and some immigration records, nothing from Germany. German words that
      > mean march are Marz, (month March) , marsch (to march), Marsch (marsh
      > , boggy place) and Grenze (boundary). other spelling variation I ahve
      > seen are Martz and Mertz.
      >
      > There are 16 Marches arriving in NY 19802 - 1914 including your 5 and
      > another Albert born 1860 arr 1905, possibly a brother to Johannes.
      >
      > What religion were the Marches?
      >
      > bob gillis

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
        found your query at Genealogy.com forums -

        Roland Borchers 1940's Georgia
        Date: January 25, 2012 at 18:47:07
        Posted by: Deborah Singer (ID *****0109)
        > Roland Borchers married Ethel and moved to GA maybe Atlanta
        > in early 1940's he was in Maryland before that
        > Otto was pilot in Air Force and died in WWII
        > Not sure of Parents but Aunt and Uncle were Johannes March
        > and Nellie Albrecht who came to USA from Germany in 1910
        > I know brothers were in USA by 1940's
        > Johannes and Nellie were my grandmother's parent,
        > these brothers were her cousins
        http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/messages/33122.html

        Okay - in THAT query, you spelled the surname as BORCHERS.

        and in your query in this group, you mention "Northwood MD":
        NOTE that Northwood is a suburb of Baltimore MD.

        Back to Ancestry.com -
        I don't know if this is "your" Roland,
        but he *IS* in Baltimore MD in 1942 -
        U.S. World War II Draft Registration, 1942
        Name: Roland Winfield Borchers
        Birth Date: 26 Dec 1891
        Birth Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Residence: Baltimore, Maryland
        Relative: Mrs. Roland Borchers

        Name: Roland Winfield Borchers [indexed as BACHUS]
        City: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Birthplace: Phila, Pennsylvania
        Birth Date: 26 Dec 1891
        Race: Caucasian (White)
        FHL Roll Number: 1907766
        DraftBoard: 43

        In the 1900 census that I previously mentioned and linked,
        the Roland Borchers age 8 is shown as born "Dec 1891".
        This certainly looks to be the same Roland in these 3 documents -
        whether this is "your" Roland I cannot be sure.
        > 1900 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        > Borchers, Richard/49, Anna/30, Roland/8, Herbert/22, Frederick/20
        > Albrecht, Otto/27, Carl/25, Nellie/28
        > Phoebe Reed 29

        1910 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Borchers, Richard C/58, Anna C/40, Roland/18, Adrian/5

        1920 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Borchers, Richard/65, Anna/48, Adrian/15, Roland/29

        Interesting -
        the ADRIAN listed here is actually the second of that name -
        Philadelphia, PA, Death Certificates Index, 1803-1915
        Name: Adrian Borchers
        Birth Date: abt 1895
        Birth Place: Phila
        Death Date: 19 Mar 1895
        Death Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Age at Death: 7 months
        Burial Date: 22 Mar 1895
        Gender: Male -- Race: White
        Street Address: 2038 Mervine Sta
        Cemetery: Mt. Vernon
        Marital Status: Single
        Father: Richard C Borchers
        Mother: Anna Albrecht Borchers
        FHL Film Number: 1872272

        So - now we see the connection -
        Anna, wife of Richard Borchers, mother of Roland, was an ALBRECHT.

        Re OTTO BORCHERS -
        maybe you are confusing OTTO Albrecht and Adrian BORCHERS?

        This could be the same Adrian BORCHERS as above -
        Daily News (Huntingdon, Pennsylvania)
        1936 > March > 27 > Page 1, continued Page 5
        Mexico City, March 27 - The crushed burned bodies of 14 victims of a mysterious mountain airplane crash were brought to the capital today to be cremated. Eight Germans ...; an Austrian and a Hungarian, ... an American, ...
        The American was co-pilot Adrian Borchers, 31, of Philadelphia. He came to Mexico last May. His wife, Helen Forster, Vassar graduate of Ridgewood, N.J., was here. ... ...
        Borchers trained at Kelly Field, Texas. He was a reserve lieutenant in the American Air Corps.
        NOTE: remember - this was before the creation of the U.S. Air Force.

        I still do not find an OTTO BROCHERS as you describe.

        - Tom Knox