Re: BROCHERS(?) brothers; MARCH brothers

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2012
      Dawn -

      Do you have any further information on the BROCHERS brothers?
      Name of either parent, approximate birthyears, state or city they were from ? I'm not finding anything useful on BROCHERS.

      surname MARCH :

      You apparently already have this census -
      1920 Philadelphia Ward 38, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
      March, John C R/50:Ger:Alsace:England, Nellie/46:PA:Ger:PA,
      (), Albert P/17:PA, Robert C/16:Cologne, Martha C/13:Cologne
      NOTE: the mash of birthplaces doesn't make any sense

      This looks like it could be son Robert -
      1930 Passaic, Passaic, New Jersey
      March, Robert C R/26:Ger:Ger:PA/imm:1910

      This could be widow Nellie in 1930 -
      1930 Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
      Weber, Ernest G/42:PA/divorced,
      (), Dorothy/16, Leonara/14, Marian/12, Mary E/11, Frederick/10
      March, Nellie/servant/57:PA:Ger:PA/widow/housekeeper
      Carter, Mildred/24:VA/cook

      I found your Public Member Tree at Ancestry.com
      Johannes March http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/18792759/person/1553320411
      ====
      1910 Perth Amboy Ward 1, Middlesex, NJ
      March, John R/41:Ger/imm:1894, Nellie G/38:PA,
      - both married.1 10 years, 3 children 3 living,
      (), Albert P/7:PA, Robert C R/6:Ger/imm:1910, Martha E/4:Ger/imm:1910
      Hannah Schuder/26, Katherine Degenkolb/27

      There is a Nellie Albrecht in 1900 Philadelphia
      with brothers Otto and Carl Albrecht (all born PA:Ger:PA),
      in the household of Richard BORCHERS (with son ROLAND age 8) -
      <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&gsfn=nel*&gsln=alb*&sx=&f107=Pennsylvania&f106=&f21=philadelphia&f33__ftp=pennsylvania&rg_f32__date=1872&rs_f32__date=2&f72=&f77=&f56__n=&f75__n=&rg_f53__date=&rs_f53__date=0&_8000C002=&f40=&_80008002=&f57=&_80018002=&gskw=&prox=1&db=1900usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=0&h=68839089&recoff=>

      For the first surname in your query,
      did you maybe mean the surname BORCHERS, not BROCHERS ?

      I belong to a Pennsylvania genealogy YahooGroup that may be some help
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/p_a_penn/
      and a recent topic was the new set of Pennsylvania BMD records that are now available
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/p_a_penn/message/46859
      video: http://ancstry.me/wyaMrY

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dawn" <hereslooking4@...> wrote:

      > Can you help me get info about these two brothers? This what I know~
      > OTTO... was in Air Force and died in WWII he was a pilot
      >
      > ROLAND....good cook,(my mom said he was ugly as a mud fence... lol)
      > lived in Northwood Md late 30's early 40's then married Ethal in early 1940's
      > and moved to Atlanta.. or somewhere in GA
      >
      > I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
      > America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
      > Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
      > 1903 and Robert March 1904
      > Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
      > US .....would be great toooo :-)
      > I have an Ancestry.com Acct
      > but you can just email at Hereslooking4@

    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2012
        On 1/27/2012 11:22 PM, dawn wrote:
        > Can you help me get info about these two brothers? This what I know~
        > OTTO... was in Air Force and died in WWII he was a pilot
        >
        > ROLAND....good cook,(my mom said he was ugly as a mud fence... lol)
        > lived in Northwood Md late 30's early 40's then married Ethal in early 1940's
        > and moved to Atlanta.. or somewhere in GA

        What was their surname Brocher or Brochers? Don't you know what state
        they lived in before WW2? In the census on familysearch.org there are
        Roland Brocher in 1930 in NH,1927, and MA. 1908 of an age to have served
        in WW2; no Otto.

        > I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
        > America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
        > Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
        > 1903 and Robert March 1904
        > Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
        > US .....would be great toooo :-)

        Name: Martha C March
        Residence: , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
        Estimated Birth Year: 1907
        Age: 13
        Birthplace: Germany
        Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
        Gender: Female
        Race: White
        Marital Status: Single
        Father's Birthplace: Germany
        Mother's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
        Film Number: 1821635
        Digital Folder Number: 4384926
        Image Number: 01048
        Sheet Number: 6
        Household Gender Age
        Parent John C R March M 50y
        Parent Nellie March F 46y
        Albert P March M 17y
        Robert C March M 16y
        Martha C March F 13y

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
          On 1/27/2012 11:22 PM, dawn wrote:
          > I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
          > America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
          > Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
          > 1903 and Robert March 1904
          > Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
          > US .....would be great toooo :-)

          The family came from Charlottenburg Germany on the Kaiserin Augusta Victoria
          Sailing from Cherbourg, France arriving 4 Apr 1910. There were also two
          women age 25 on the same ship: Johanna Schweder and Katharina Dagenkalb.
          Charlottenburg was/is a suburb/part of Berlin.

          bob gillis
        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
            On 1/27/2012 11:22 PM, dawn wrote:

            snip
            >> I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
            >> America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
            >> Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
            >> 1903 and Robert March 1904
            >> Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
            >> US .....would be great toooo :-)

            And I replied:

            Per the Ellis Island records
            > The family came from Charlottenburg Germany on the Kaiserin Augusta Victoria
            > Sailing from Cherbourg, France arriving 4 Apr 1910. There were also two
            > women age 25 on the same ship: Johanna Schweder and Katharina Dagenkalb.
            > Charlottenburg was/is a suburb/part of Berlin.

            Searching familysearch.org historical records I do not find any marriage
            for a Johannes March and (--?--) Albrecht nor the births of Martha,
            Albert or Robert in Germany.

            The records that have the surname March are US Census, 1,790 records.
            and some immigration records, nothing from Germany. German words that
            mean march are Marz, (month March) , marsch (to march), Marsch (marsh
            , boggy place) and Grenze (boundary). other spelling variation I ahve
            seen are Martz and Mertz.

            There are 16 Marches arriving in NY 19802 - 1914 including your 5 and
            another Albert born 1860 arr 1905, possibly a brother to Johannes.

            What religion were the Marches?

            bob gillis
          • dawn
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
              not sure of religion..... i have Martha's birth certificate
              and her naturalization papers... BC is written in german though
              i will post under photos name it Martha March
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis <robertgillis@...> wrote:

              > On 1/27/2012 11:22 PM, dawn wrote:
              >
              > snip
              > >> I think Aunt and Uncle were: Nellie Albrecht and Johannes March who came to
              > >> America in April 1910 from Germany through Ellis Island
              > >> Nellie and Johannes had my grandmother Martha March dob 2/14/1906 ~ Albert March
              > >> 1903 and Robert March 1904
              > >> Any info about Robert or Albert or any info about March Family BEFORE coming to
              > >> US .....would be great toooo :-)
              >
              > And I replied:
              >
              > Per the Ellis Island records
              > > The family came from Charlottenburg Germany on the Kaiserin Augusta Victoria
              > > Sailing from Cherbourg, France arriving 4 Apr 1910. There were also two
              > > women age 25 on the same ship: Johanna Schweder and Katharina Dagenkalb.
              > > Charlottenburg was/is a suburb/part of Berlin.
              >
              > Searching familysearch.org historical records I do not find any marriage
              > for a Johannes March and (--?--) Albrecht nor the births of Martha,
              > Albert or Robert in Germany.
              >
              > The records that have the surname March are US Census, 1,790 records.
              > and some immigration records, nothing from Germany. German words that
              > mean march are Marz, (month March) , marsch (to march), Marsch (marsh
              > , boggy place) and Grenze (boundary). other spelling variation I ahve
              > seen are Martz and Mertz.
              >
              > There are 16 Marches arriving in NY 19802 - 1914 including your 5 and
              > another Albert born 1860 arr 1905, possibly a brother to Johannes.
              >
              > What religion were the Marches?
              >
              > bob gillis

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
                found your query at Genealogy.com forums -

                Roland Borchers 1940's Georgia
                Date: January 25, 2012 at 18:47:07
                Posted by: Deborah Singer (ID *****0109)
                > Roland Borchers married Ethel and moved to GA maybe Atlanta
                > in early 1940's he was in Maryland before that
                > Otto was pilot in Air Force and died in WWII
                > Not sure of Parents but Aunt and Uncle were Johannes March
                > and Nellie Albrecht who came to USA from Germany in 1910
                > I know brothers were in USA by 1940's
                > Johannes and Nellie were my grandmother's parent,
                > these brothers were her cousins
                http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/messages/33122.html

                Okay - in THAT query, you spelled the surname as BORCHERS.

                and in your query in this group, you mention "Northwood MD":
                NOTE that Northwood is a suburb of Baltimore MD.

                Back to Ancestry.com -
                I don't know if this is "your" Roland,
                but he *IS* in Baltimore MD in 1942 -
                U.S. World War II Draft Registration, 1942
                Name: Roland Winfield Borchers
                Birth Date: 26 Dec 1891
                Birth Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                Residence: Baltimore, Maryland
                Relative: Mrs. Roland Borchers

                Name: Roland Winfield Borchers [indexed as BACHUS]
                City: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                Birthplace: Phila, Pennsylvania
                Birth Date: 26 Dec 1891
                Race: Caucasian (White)
                FHL Roll Number: 1907766
                DraftBoard: 43

                In the 1900 census that I previously mentioned and linked,
                the Roland Borchers age 8 is shown as born "Dec 1891".
                This certainly looks to be the same Roland in these 3 documents -
                whether this is "your" Roland I cannot be sure.
                > 1900 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                > Borchers, Richard/49, Anna/30, Roland/8, Herbert/22, Frederick/20
                > Albrecht, Otto/27, Carl/25, Nellie/28
                > Phoebe Reed 29

                1910 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                Borchers, Richard C/58, Anna C/40, Roland/18, Adrian/5

                1920 Philadelphia Ward 22, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                Borchers, Richard/65, Anna/48, Adrian/15, Roland/29

                Interesting -
                the ADRIAN listed here is actually the second of that name -
                Philadelphia, PA, Death Certificates Index, 1803-1915
                Name: Adrian Borchers
                Birth Date: abt 1895
                Birth Place: Phila
                Death Date: 19 Mar 1895
                Death Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                Age at Death: 7 months
                Burial Date: 22 Mar 1895
                Gender: Male -- Race: White
                Street Address: 2038 Mervine Sta
                Cemetery: Mt. Vernon
                Marital Status: Single
                Father: Richard C Borchers
                Mother: Anna Albrecht Borchers
                FHL Film Number: 1872272

                So - now we see the connection -
                Anna, wife of Richard Borchers, mother of Roland, was an ALBRECHT.

                Re OTTO BORCHERS -
                maybe you are confusing OTTO Albrecht and Adrian BORCHERS?

                This could be the same Adrian BORCHERS as above -
                Daily News (Huntingdon, Pennsylvania)
                1936 > March > 27 > Page 1, continued Page 5
                Mexico City, March 27 - The crushed burned bodies of 14 victims of a mysterious mountain airplane crash were brought to the capital today to be cremated. Eight Germans ...; an Austrian and a Hungarian, ... an American, ...
                The American was co-pilot Adrian Borchers, 31, of Philadelphia. He came to Mexico last May. His wife, Helen Forster, Vassar graduate of Ridgewood, N.J., was here. ... ...
                Borchers trained at Kelly Field, Texas. He was a reserve lieutenant in the American Air Corps.
                NOTE: remember - this was before the creation of the U.S. Air Force.

                I still do not find an OTTO BROCHERS as you describe.