Re: Katherine Eva Twombley Parsons.

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2011
      Kelley Parsons-Gibson, selanadepp wrote on 15 Oct

      > I am looking for info on my g grandmother Katherine Eva Twombley
      > Parsons. She was born in 1875 (we think in MA), married my g
      > grandfather, William S. Parsons, in 1896 in Portsmouth, NH. The only
      > thing I can find is that her father's name was Thomas. Funny how I
      > have been able to go back centuries on some branches, but this one
      > is a road block so soon.

      What sources indicate that she was born c 1875 in MA to a Thomas and
      that her middle name was Eva? By searching for William S Parsons I find
      their marriage but her birthplace and parents are blank. Her name was
      Kate *L* Twombley and her age was 21 but as the marriage date was 14
      Mar she was more likely born in 1874.

      I searched for Kate L Twombley I find:

      Amos Kk. TWOMBLEY Self M Male W 58 NH Stone Mason
      NH NH
      Catharine TWOMBLEY Wife M Female W 55 MA Keeps
      House MA MA
      Hattie M. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 32 MA
      Seamstress NH MA
      Kate M. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 18 NH At Home
      NH MA
      Alice K. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 14 NH At
      School NH MA

      Census Place Ward 3, Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire

      I do not find Kate's birth in FS but I do find Alice's. A broader search
      my find her birth. As her mother was born in MA, Kate may have been born
      there also.

      I think that his Kate is likely the one you are looking for rather than
      the below; same surname spelling and closely similar given name.

      In the 1880 Census I do not find a Katherine or Catherine
      Twombley/Twombly born 1875 ± 5 years but I do find an Eva Twombly:
      Household:

      John L. TWOMBLY Self M M W 43 (1837) VT Carpenter
      VT VT
      Eliza A. TWOMBLY Wife M F W 44 (1836) VT Keeping
      House VT VT
      Eva A. TWOMBLY Dau S F W 4 VT VT VT
      Effey TWOMBLY Dau S Fe W 3 VT VT VT
      Census Place Barton, Orleans, Vermont

      bob gillis
    • Selena
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
        In my grandfathers obit her name is listed as Katherine Eva, the weird thing is that the marriage certificate has it listed as Kate L. On the familysearch.org has a copy of the marriage certificate and Thomas is listed as her father, they lived in Cape Neddick, ME. There isn't a mother listed. The first source you found was interesting as my grandfather had an Aunt Hattie, but the family was never talked about. The problem I am finding is that this area has a strong French background, so the last name of Twombley and all it's different variations is very common.

        bob gillis <robertgillis@...> wrote:

        > What sources indicate that she was born c 1875 in MA to a Thomas and
        > that her middle name was Eva? By searching for William S Parsons I find
        > their marriage but her birthplace and parents are blank. Her name was
        > Kate *L* Twombley and her age was 21 but as the marriage date was 14
        > Mar she was more likely born in 1874.
        >
        > I searched for Kate L Twombley I find:
        >
        > Amos Kk. TWOMBLEY Self M Male W 58 NH Stone Mason
        > NH NH
        > Catharine TWOMBLEY Wife M Female W 55 MA Keeps
        > House MA MA
        > Hattie M. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 32 MA
        > Seamstress NH MA
        > Kate M. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 18 NH At Home
        > NH MA
        > Alice K. TWOMBLEY Dau S Female W 14 NH At
        > School NH MA
        >
        > Census Place Ward 3, Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire
        >
        > I do not find Kate's birth in FS but I do find Alice's. A broader search
        > my find her birth. As her mother was born in MA, Kate may have been born
        > there also.
        >
        > I think that his Kate is likely the one you are looking for rather than
        > the below; same surname spelling and closely similar given name.
        >
        > In the 1880 Census I do not find a Katherine or Catherine
        > Twombley/Twombly born 1875 ± 5 years but I do find an Eva Twombly:
        > Household:
        >
        > John L. TWOMBLY Self M M W 43 (1837) VT Carpenter
        > VT VT
        > Eliza A. TWOMBLY Wife M F W 44 (1836) VT Keeping
        > House VT VT
        > Eva A. TWOMBLY Dau S F W 4 VT VT VT
        > Effey TWOMBLY Dau S Fe W 3 VT VT VT
        > Census Place Barton, Orleans, Vermont
        >
        > bob gillis

      • bob gillis
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
          On 11/24/2011 7:06 AM, Selena wrote:
          > In my grandfathers obit her name is listed as Katherine Eva, the
          > weird thing is that the marriage certificate has it listed as Kate
          > L. On the familysearch.org has a copy of the marriage certificate
          > and Thomas is listed as her father, they lived in Cape Neddick, ME.
          > There isn't a mother listed. The first source you found was
          > interesting as my grandfather had an Aunt Hattie, but the family was
          > never talked about. The problem I am finding is that this area has a
          > strong French background, so the last name of Twombley and all it's
          > different variations is very common.
          >

          > bob gillis<robertgillis@...> wrote:
          >
          >> What sources indicate that she was born c 1875 in MA to a Thomas
          >> and that her middle name was Eva? By searching for William S
          >> Parsons I find their marriage but her birthplace and parents are
          >> blank. Her name was Kate *L* Twombley and her age was 21 but as
          >> the marriage date was 14 Mar she was more likely born in 1874.

          I do not think Twombley or variation is a French origin name.

          In the 1881 Canada Census there are Twombleys and variations in Nova
          Scotia and Ontario. None of the NS or ON people have a French sounding
          given name.

          Amos Kk was probably the Amos H found in many earlier Census.

          Your evidence leads me to think the Amos family is the correct one.

          bob gillis