New to Genealogy

  • M. Lillian Hughes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2011
      Hi! My mother came to the US in the late 1950's from Germany. She was born in Goerlitz, which became part of East Germany. I remember her telling me that many records were destroyed in WW2.
      Just how common a name is Rothe in Germany? I found an online telephone directory for Goerlitz and there are several Rothe's. How likely is it that these are related to me?
      Also, I was searching the temporarily free stuff on Ancestry.com for my father's side. They came over from Italy. I'm seeing some dates that match with names that don't sound like anything I have heard in my family. How common a name is Cerella in Italy? I checked the Ellis Island database, but they showed all the Cerella's going to Philadelphia and my father's family are all in Massachusetts.
      Where else besides Ellis Island would immigrants have arrived in this country? Did those places keep databases?
    • littledi1030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2011
        Boston, Philadelphia also entry ports, but do not count out New York as enrty.