Tip about Newspapers

  • gaelic.charm@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      Hello,

      Newspaper archives provided some vital information I would not have found otherwise. Specifically, birth announcements are very helpful.

      Also, wedding announcements will most oftentimes give the groom's parents names and their location as well as the bride's parents names and their location. That helps to fill in vital data one needs.

      Additionally, in one old newspaper archive I was able to find a mention of an ancestor from a particular city having been elected to serve as a representative to the state assembly. The important part to me was that the date was given, thus establishing that relative's residence in that city at that time.

      This may not seem like much, but it was to me. I'd done lots of searching at Ancestry.com, but I found this other information by doing a Google search on the relative's name.

      I hope my note will encourage more of you to try newspaper archives.

      Barbara D. Brill