delong

  • sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2011
      still trying to knock down those brick walls.
      if anyone can help, trying to find the parents for

      elijah milton delong b. 1857 martin co. ky d. 1895
      m. mary brown b. 8-4-1852 morgan co. ky

      i have seen various people listed as "possible" parents but have never found any proof of it. can anyone help?

      my gr gr grandmother was lydia ann delong, d/o elijah
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2011
        Is this the correct family?

        1880 River, Morgan, Kentucky
        Delong, Milton/28:KY:KY:KY/farmer, Mary/27:KY:KY:KY,
        (), Samuel G/11, Emery J/9, Girthude/7, Wallas T/1

        1870 Rockcastle, Johnson, Kentucky
        Delong, Nancy?/61, Milton/18, Mary/17 (all dittoed as born KY)
        NOTE: census is faint & hard to read
        NOTE: is Nancy the mother, g'mother, aunt, g'aunt, other?

        NOTE: Johnson County is adjacent and east of Morgan County,
        in far eastern Kentucky.
        http://www.kygenweb.net/counties/kymap.html

        Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
        Name: Elijah M. Delong
        Spouse: Mary Brown
        Marriage Date: 26 Dec 1869
        County: Morgan, KY

        It can be confusing -
        middle name Milton being used as the first name.

        Chasing NANCY DELONG, I find two possible matches -

        1860 (P.O. Paintsville), Johnson, Kentucky - page 34
        Delong, Nancy/45:OH
        Lanhorn, Catharine/28:KY
        Delong, Emory/22:KY, Milton/11:KY
        NOTE: Nancy's age is close to expected, but Milton's age is 'off'.
        NOTE: there are other DELONG on the same censuspage.

        1860 (P.O. Paintsville), Johnson, Kentucky - page 33
        Delong, Harvey/33/farmer, Nancy A/29, Manerva/10,
        Elijah/8, Wm P/3, Emily K/3, Alfrid/5m
        NOTE: there are other DELONG on the same censuspage.
        NOTE: Elijah's age matches the 1870+1880 censuses,
        but Nancy's age is 'off' - is it the same Nancy? probably not.

        This last one has a better probability - the age is a better fit.

        Aha! It looks like the Nancy Delong of 1870 is the paternal gmother,
        and is the mother-in-law of Nancy Delong wife of Harvey -
        1850 Johnson County, Kentucky (all are dittoed as born KY)
        Delong, Harvey/22, Nancy/18, Minerva J/4m,
        (), Nancy/38, Cynthia/15, Emery/13

        THIS IS NOT PROOF - but it *is* circumstantial evidence of a match:
        that this line of DELONG stayed in Johnson County for several decades.

        ******************************

        Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
        Name: Malinda A Delong
        Birth Date: 5 Apr 1874
        Birth County: Martin
        Father's Name: Milton Delong
        Mother's Name: Mary Brown
        =====
        Name: Lucretia Delong
        Birth Date: 5 Feb 1878
        Birth County: Morgan
        Father's Name: Milton Delong
        Mother's Name: Mary Brown

        Hmm - these names aren't in the 1880 census, above.

        ******************************

        OH! Wait a minute -
        you said "gr gr grandmother was lydia ann delong, d/o elijah" -
        do you mean THIS family, in 1900?

        1900 Stafford Fork, Martin, Kentucky
        Delong, Milton/50:KY:KY:KY/b:Mar1850/farmer, Mary/45/b:Mar1856,
        - married 31 years, 10 children 9 living
        (), T*er/20/b:May1880, Lydia A/18, Hattie/17, Susan/13,
        (), James/10, Harvey/7, Ida/4
        NOTE: Martin County is adjacent and east of Morgan County.

        This looks like it could be the same family as 1880 census above - maybe.

        But then, *this* Milton is still alive in 1900 - not "d. 1895".

        Is THIS your family, and if so, do you have the 1880 census?
        Or are these in fact the same family?

        - Tom Knox