Duley Elma McCune (Veltum) b. 1854 Rolling Prairie, WI, d. 1917 Orland, CA

  • mdeweygardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 7:31 PM
      A shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a photo of Duley Elma McCune.

      She was the wife of Thomas Veltum, a prominent businessman from St. James, Minnesota (he is profiled in several books about important men of the region). She was born in May 1854 in Rolling Prairie, WI to Thomas and Caroline (Bently) McCune and died in February 1917 at her home in Orland, California, though she was returned to the St. James, Minnesota area for her burial. I do not know the death date or location of burial of her husband Thomas Veltum, but he was born In June 1844 in England. The two were married June 1872 in Winona County, Minnesota.

      I have a good deal of other info about Duley (obits, census, marriage, etc), but no photo. When I first started research years ago and posted my tree on Rootsweb, a woman contacted me at random claiming to have a photo, but was requesting a few dollars in exchange... I didn't realize that this can actually be legit sometimes, but at the time thought it was a scam. I declined, and the woman claimed to have passed the photo onto some other descendant, even though there were no others on rootsweb with Duley in their tree (maybe it was a scam?)

      Anyhow, I know it is a shot in the dark, but I figure it is worth a try posting here and elsewhere. Duley is the only direct ancestor in her generation (my kids' 3xGreat Grandparents) for whom I have no photo.
      Thanks,
      Mark