Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Starting from scratch

  • Debbie Genealogy
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
      Hi Mark,

      I think it was disposed of, a lot of this was totally away from me and out of my hands...otherwise I'd pay the fee to see if anything was recoverable.

      ________________________________
      From: george burnash <gburnash@...>
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:24:43 -0500

      On 7/28/2011 3:03 PM, Debbie Genealogy wrote:
      > Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start
      > over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like
      before.
      > Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than
      > ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be
      appreciated.

      First, since it sounds like you have a tree on ancestry, I would go to
      your tree information page and look around for where it will let you
      download your tree. This will put it in a GEDCOM file which any
      genealogy program can import and read. it will have all your names,
      dates, and references, though it won't download any actual media files,
      such as photos.

      As for free programs, I highly recommend Roots Magic. I absolutely love
      it, have been using it for a few years now, and find it extremely easy
      to use, but also very powerful and flexible. It will be able to do just
      about anything that you want a program to do. They also have a large
      number of video "classes" online on how to use the program and get the
      most out of it- things beyond the basics.

      Legacy is also a very popular option, so it is another one you might
      want to look at.

      Both of them have free versions and a full, paid version. There are a
      few features not available in the free ones that are in the paid, but
      the free ones are still fully functional programs.

      George

    • Debbie Genealogy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
        Hi Paul,

        I'm pretty computer savvy, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get on their site, to my tree to make corrections. I'm hoping to find a library that offers access or wait for one of their freebie periods .

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
          Thank you Joy, I'm loving all these good ideas.