Re: Starting from scratch

  • mdeweygardner
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
      Along the same vein, if you download your GEDCOM (as others have suggested) you can also upload it for free into googledocs (if you have a google email account). GEDCOMs don't include photos or attachments, but at least all the names and details will not disappear.

      And do try to log into ancestry.com--I've used the free account for years, I only buy a month at a time here and there when I know I'll have the time to make it worth my money. When I cancel the paid subscription, all my tree info is still there and all the docs (census, etc) are still attached, but I just don't get the paid privilege of "seeing" them..the citations remain. (Though, I downloaded the pdf images of all of them to my computer anyway...and my local library has all the census docs as well for free if I ever really need to find them). Your tree info should all still be there on ancestry unless you deleted the tree.

      Mark

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

      > Once you have recovered your tree using the suggestions folks are
      > posting here, there's another thing you can do that will help in the
      > future. Have you heard of a program called "Back up my tree?"
      > www.backupmytree.com It's a free download and it will store your tree
      > out there in the Cloud and make changes whenever you change it. You can
      > then recover your tree just as it was before a crash. (Though this does
      > require having a tree program on your home computer, I think, not just
      > on Ancestry or other online sites).
      >
      > Joy Weaver

    • Mark F Rabideau
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
        It is also truly worthwhile going to your local LDS Family History
        Center to use the tools they offer for free. You will be AMAZED at the
        number, quality & quantity of databases, tree maker style software,
        internet services, etc.
        --
        Pax Vobiscum,
        ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

        Visit us at: http://many-roads.com Twitter: @eirenicon
        Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
        phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:
        +1.303.660.9217
        member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
        Society
        "It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
        want him or whether you don’t."

        Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

        wrote:

        > Once you have recovered your tree using the suggestions folks are
        > posting here, there's another thing you can do that will help in the
        > future. Have you heard of a program called "Back up my tree?"
        > www.backupmytree.com It's a free download and it will store your tree
        > out there in the Cloud and make changes whenever you change it. You
        can
        > then recover your tree just as it was before a crash. (Though this
        does
        > require having a tree program on your home computer, I think, not
        just
        > on Ancestry or other online sites).
        >
        > Joy Weaver

      • Debbie Genealogy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
          Jennifer,

          Our local library has a limted library edition of ancestry.com, but there are nearby counties/independent libraries that may offer such a great deal. Thanks very much for the tip!

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
            Hi Mark,

            I think it was disposed of, a lot of this was totally away from me and out of my hands...otherwise I'd pay the fee to see if anything was recoverable.

            ________________________________
            From: george burnash <gburnash@...>
            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:24:43 -0500

            On 7/28/2011 3:03 PM, Debbie Genealogy wrote:
            > Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start
            > over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like
            before.
            > Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than
            > ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be
            appreciated.

            First, since it sounds like you have a tree on ancestry, I would go to
            your tree information page and look around for where it will let you
            download your tree. This will put it in a GEDCOM file which any
            genealogy program can import and read. it will have all your names,
            dates, and references, though it won't download any actual media files,
            such as photos.

            As for free programs, I highly recommend Roots Magic. I absolutely love
            it, have been using it for a few years now, and find it extremely easy
            to use, but also very powerful and flexible. It will be able to do just
            about anything that you want a program to do. They also have a large
            number of video "classes" online on how to use the program and get the
            most out of it- things beyond the basics.

            Legacy is also a very popular option, so it is another one you might
            want to look at.

            Both of them have free versions and a full, paid version. There are a
            few features not available in the free ones that are in the paid, but
            the free ones are still fully functional programs.

            George

          • Debbie Genealogy
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
              Hi Paul,

              I'm pretty computer savvy, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get on their site, to my tree to make corrections. I'm hoping to find a library that offers access or wait for one of their freebie periods .

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
                Thank you Joy, I'm loving all these good ideas.