Starting from scratch

  • Debbie Genealogy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28, 2011
      Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like before. Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be appreciated.

      Ironic that I know there are errors I'd like to fix on it, and I hate the idea of anyone getting bad info due to this.

    • Jennifer Robb
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
        You may want to check if any area libraries offer genealogy resources free of charge. I'm lucky that the one the next county over does. If I log in through their library website I can use many of the databases free of charge right from my home! (Ancestry.com is not one of them that can be used from home, but if I go to the library and log in on their wifi, I can access ancestry.com without paying the individual membership fee. This might let you fix your tree info. there without having to pay the membership fee again.)

        I'm sure others will have better suggestions for free programs and less privacy issues than ancestry.com.

        Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like before. Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be appreciated.

        Ironic that I know there are errors I'd like to fix on it, and I hate the idea of anyone getting bad info due to this.

      • lee taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
          I'm using Tribalpages.com for my family tree, it's free unless you want the over the top program. People have to be invited to see everything but they can't change anything. It doesn't have web sites to search. But there are so many free research sites you just have to look for them.

          Lee

          Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like before. Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be appreciated.

          Ironic that I know there are errors I'd like to fix on it, and I hate the idea of anyone getting bad info due to this.

        • george burnash
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
            On 7/28/2011 3:03 PM, Debbie Genealogy wrote:
            > Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start
            > over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like before.
            > Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than
            > ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be appreciated.

            First, since it sounds like you have a tree on ancestry, I would go to
            your tree information page and look around for where it will let you
            download your tree. This will put it in a GEDCOM file which any
            genealogy program can import and read. it will have all your names,
            dates, and references, though it won't download any actual media files,
            such as photos.

            As for free programs, I highly recommend Roots Magic. I absolutely love
            it, have been using it for a few years now, and find it extremely easy
            to use, but also very powerful and flexible. It will be able to do just
            about anything that you want a program to do. They also have a large
            number of video "classes" online on how to use the program and get the
            most out of it- things beyond the basics.

            Legacy is also a very popular option, so it is another one you might
            want to look at.

            Both of them have free versions and a full, paid version. There are a
            few features not available in the free ones that are in the paid, but
            the free ones are still fully functional programs.

            George

            --
            ------------------------------------
            With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
              Hi Debbie

              GRAMPS is free on any platform... you might want to give it a go.

              As for recovery unless you have turn your disk drive to dust, the data
              is likely recoverable. There are companies that will save you data and
              return it to you after bullet holes, fires and the like. So if there is
              anything left of your drive, for some pesos you might be able to
              reconstruct things.

              --
              Pax Vobiscum,
              ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

              Visit us at: http://many-roads.com Twitter: @eirenicon
              Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
              phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:
              +1.303.660.9217
              member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
              Society
              "It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
              want him or whether you don’t."

              Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

              On 7/28/2011 3:03 PM, Debbie Genealogy wrote:
              > Due to a hard drive flooding and a corrupt back up, I have to start
              > over. I don't have the luxury of a ancestry.com membership like
              before.
              > Any recommendations on free programs and with less privacy issues than
              > ancestry.com (I can't even access my own tree!!!) would be
              appreciated.

              First, since it sounds like you have a tree on ancestry, I would go to
              your tree information page and look around for where it will let you
              download your tree. This will put it in a GEDCOM file which any
              genealogy program can import and read. it will have all your names,
              dates, and references, though it won't download any actual media files,
              such as photos.

              As for free programs, I highly recommend Roots Magic. I absolutely love
              it, have been using it for a few years now, and find it extremely easy
              to use, but also very powerful and flexible. It will be able to do just
              about anything that you want a program to do. They also have a large
              number of video "classes" online on how to use the program and get the
              most out of it- things beyond the basics.

              Legacy is also a very popular option, so it is another one you might
              want to look at.

              Both of them have free versions and a full, paid version. There are a
              few features not available in the free ones that are in the paid, but
              the free ones are still fully functional programs.

              George

            • Paul Kurecka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31, 2011
                Ahoj Debbie,

                Ancestry.com allows you to enter, store. update data w/o membership. (Mine is there w/o membership.)
                I also have a couple of templates I could send to you.

                Pavel Kůrečka

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 31, 2011
                  Once you have recovered your tree using the suggestions folks are
                  posting here, there's another thing you can do that will help in the
                  future. Have you heard of a program called "Back up my tree?"
                  www.backupmytree.com It's a free download and it will store your tree
                  out there in the Cloud and make changes whenever you change it. You can
                  then recover your tree just as it was before a crash. (Though this does
                  require having a tree program on your home computer, I think, not just
                  on Ancestry or other online sites).

                  Joy Weaver

                • mdeweygardner
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
                    Along the same vein, if you download your GEDCOM (as others have suggested) you can also upload it for free into googledocs (if you have a google email account). GEDCOMs don't include photos or attachments, but at least all the names and details will not disappear.

                    And do try to log into ancestry.com--I've used the free account for years, I only buy a month at a time here and there when I know I'll have the time to make it worth my money. When I cancel the paid subscription, all my tree info is still there and all the docs (census, etc) are still attached, but I just don't get the paid privilege of "seeing" them..the citations remain. (Though, I downloaded the pdf images of all of them to my computer anyway...and my local library has all the census docs as well for free if I ever really need to find them). Your tree info should all still be there on ancestry unless you deleted the tree.

                    Mark

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

                    > Once you have recovered your tree using the suggestions folks are
                    > posting here, there's another thing you can do that will help in the
                    > future. Have you heard of a program called "Back up my tree?"
                    > www.backupmytree.com It's a free download and it will store your tree
                    > out there in the Cloud and make changes whenever you change it. You can
                    > then recover your tree just as it was before a crash. (Though this does
                    > require having a tree program on your home computer, I think, not just
                    > on Ancestry or other online sites).
                    >
                    > Joy Weaver

                  • Mark F Rabideau
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
                      It is also truly worthwhile going to your local LDS Family History
                      Center to use the tools they offer for free. You will be AMAZED at the
                      number, quality & quantity of databases, tree maker style software,
                      internet services, etc.

                      wrote:

                      > Once you have recovered your tree using the suggestions folks are
                      > posting here, there's another thing you can do that will help in the
                      > future. Have you heard of a program called "Back up my tree?"
                      > www.backupmytree.com It's a free download and it will store your tree
                      > out there in the Cloud and make changes whenever you change it. You
                      can
                      > then recover your tree just as it was before a crash. (Though this
                      does
                      > require having a tree program on your home computer, I think, not
                      just
                      > on Ancestry or other online sites).
                      >
                      > Joy Weaver

                    • Debbie Genealogy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
                        Jennifer,

                        Our local library has a limted library edition of ancestry.com, but there are nearby counties/independent libraries that may offer such a great deal. Thanks very much for the tip!

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
                          Hi Mark,

                          I think it was disposed of, a lot of this was totally away from me and out of my hands...otherwise I'd pay the fee to see if anything was recoverable.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
                            Hi Paul,

                            I'm pretty computer savvy, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get on their site, to my tree to make corrections. I'm hoping to find a library that offers access or wait for one of their freebie periods .

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7, 2011
                              Thank you Joy, I'm loving all these good ideas.