- An article that might help with your military search: https://www.family-genealogy.com/MilitaryServiceRecords.html Good Luck! Brandy ... From: VetqueenMessage 1 of 33 , Jul 14, 2011View SourceAn article that might help with your military search:
--- On Tue, 7/12/11, Vetqueen <ldyvtdi@...> wrote:
From: Vetqueen <ldyvtdi@...>
Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help
Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2011, 8:30 AM
1. Go to www.military.com. They have a "buddy finder". Put in the individual's name. Perhaps there is a reunion group or someone who may recognize it.
2. After WWII, veterans received a bonus if they registered their discharge at the local courthouse. It may also apply to your relative.
3. Go to www.va.gov. Go to the tab "veterans services", then "cemeteries". Type in the individual's name. Some information about date of birth, date of death, burial place, branch of service and sometimes rank can be found there.
Good luck. Diane
--- In email@example.com, "Chip" <giudicek_chip@...> wrote:
> The problem with going thru NARA to get military records is that there was a big fire in 1973 in St. Louis. A lot of the military records from 1912 thru the mid-1950's (I don't have the exact dates with me as I type this) were destroyed. I have been trying to get my dad's military records to see if he listed a different location of birth as I can't find his birth certificate. Within 2 weeks of sending the request for his records, I received a letter about the fire. They then asked me to find additional points of time in his Service what possible alternate sources could be located to find pieces of his military record. Thru newspaper clippings I have found his induction date and location, location and approximately dates of basic training, and an approximate date of his transfer to Germany during the Korean War. They are now working at finding additional information to send me as they "recreate" his service record.
> Northern Michigan
> --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, Brenda Faye Parker <fairplay51@> wrote:
> > You can send to nara and get the records.
> > Am proud member of the IBSSG
> > ---------------------------------
> > Do you Yahoo!?
> > SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- Does anyone know if/where obits are available from StaatsZeitung of New York City?Message 33 of 33 , Dec 31, 2011View SourceDoes anyone know if/where obits are available from StaatsZeitung of New York