Catherine Reese / Reas b. Union County Pa ca 1845

  • r_c_boss
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2011
      This has been one of my hardest brick walls. A gg-grandmother that anything about her pre-married lise is unproven and or unknown.

      The first bit of prooh is the 1870 census that has her married to a gg-grandfather, Jacob Flury, in Cass County Michigan. She is listed as being born in Pa and 25 years old. From that time till her death on December 31, 1942 there are many census returns and other documents that all follow as source documents.

      What really has been frustrating are the little bits and pieces of her earlier life. They are:

      From the 1870 and 1880 census we find her older brother Johnathon living with her and her family. After the 1880 census nothing on him. He is shown as Reese and Reas.

      Her obituary, information on it was provided by her youngest son, says that she was born in Snyder County Pa on March 24, 1845. It goes on to say that when she was 16 she moved with her foster parents to Elkhart County Indiana. That is where she met Jacob DFlury and they were married (probably in 1864). They stayed in Elkhart long enough for their first born, a son named Henry, to be born before they moved to Cass County. There is no mention of the foster family name.

      The good folks at the Union County Historical Society (Snyder County was formed from Union County in 1855) came up with data from the 1850 census that seems to show the following:

      Perry Township, Snyder County
      John Gorden (Garden?), 18, male, farmer
      Mary Gorden (Garden?), 41, female
      Henry Gorden (Garden?), 16, Male
      Willes (Welles?) Gorden (Garden?), 12, male
      Ruben Gorden (Garden?), 11, male
      Catherin Reas, 6, female
      Christianna Rumfeld, 78, female
      Christena Rumfeld, 31 female

      The only problem so far is when I look at the Perry Census returns at FamilySearch it does not find this at all.

      Can someone check the 1850 census for Perry, Union, Pa and send me a copy of the page?

      Also this might tie her into the Welsh Reas's and not the German Reese's.

      Note that on the 1870 and 1880 census her older brother Jonathon is listed as either 10 years older on one census and 15 years older on the other. Obly thing in common between thew two is that they do list him as older.

      Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.

      Bob
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2011
        Yes, Ancestry.com has that family indexed,
        in 1850 Perry, Union County, Pennsylvania,
        image 19 of 32 :
        (top right corner has a written 19 and a stamped 107)
        http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1850usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=5406078

        And, to my eyes, the last name looks like GORDEN:
        compared to the A's in Mary and Catharine and Christianna,
        it definitely looks like an O in GORDEN.

        I could send you the image, but I don't have your e-addy.

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, r_c_boss <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > This has been one of my hardest brick walls. A gg-grandmother that anything about her pre-married lise is unproven and or unknown.
        >
        > The first bit of prooh is the 1870 census that has her married to a gg-grandfather, Jacob Flury, in Cass County Michigan. She is listed as being born in Pa and 25 years old. From that time till her death on December 31, 1942 there are many census returns and other documents that all follow as source documents.
        >
        > What really has been frustrating are the little bits and pieces of her earlier life. They are:
        >
        > From the 1870 and 1880 census we find her older brother Johnathon living with her and her family. After the 1880 census nothing on him. He is shown as Reese and Reas.
        >
        > Her obituary, information on it was provided by her youngest son, says that she was born in Snyder County Pa on March 24, 1845. It goes on to say that when she was 16 she moved with her foster parents to Elkhart County Indiana. That is where she met Jacob DFlury and they were married (probably in 1864). They stayed in Elkhart long enough for their first born, a son named Henry, to be born before they moved to Cass County. There is no mention of the foster family name.
        >
        > The good folks at the Union County Historical Society (Snyder County was formed from Union County in 1855) came up with data from the 1850 census that seems to show the following:
        >
        > Perry Township, Snyder County
        > John Gorden (Garden?), 18, male, farmer
        > Mary Gorden (Garden?), 41, female
        > Henry Gorden (Garden?), 16, Male
        > Willes (Welles?) Gorden (Garden?), 12, male
        > Ruben Gorden (Garden?), 11, male
        > Catherin Reas, 6, female
        > Christianna Rumfeld, 78, female
        > Christena Rumfeld, 31 female
        >

        > The only problem so far is when I look at the Perry Census returns at FamilySearch it does not find this at all.
        >
        > Can someone check the 1850 census for Perry, Union, Pa and send me a copy of the page?
        >
        > Also this might tie her into the Welsh Reas's and not the German Reese's.
        >
        > Note that on the 1870 and 1880 census her older brother Jonathon is listed as either 10 years older on one census and 15 years older on the other. Obly thing in common between thew two is that they do list him as older.
        >
        > Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
        >
        > Bob

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2011
          > The only problem so far is when I look at the Perry Census returns at FamilySearch it does not find this at all.
          >
          > 1850 Perry, Union County, PA ... ... ...

          At http://FamilySearch.org, I searched for
          name: CHRISTENA RUMFELD
          location: PERRY, UNION, PA
          The first item in Historical Records is the desired 1850 census.
          Click her name to bring up her transcription entry,
          then click on View Image to bring up the image of that censuspage.
          Voila! You now have the census that includes Catherine Reas
          (transcribed by FamilySearch.org as RENZ !!)