Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help

  • Chip
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 11, 2011
      The problem with going thru NARA to get military records is that there was a big fire in 1973 in St. Louis. A lot of the military records from 1912 thru the mid-1950's (I don't have the exact dates with me as I type this) were destroyed. I have been trying to get my dad's military records to see if he listed a different location of birth as I can't find his birth certificate. Within 2 weeks of sending the request for his records, I received a letter about the fire. They then asked me to find additional points of time in his Service what possible alternate sources could be located to find pieces of his military record. Thru newspaper clippings I have found his induction date and location, location and approximately dates of basic training, and an approximate date of his transfer to Germany during the Korean War. They are now working at finding additional information to send me as they "recreate" his service record.

      Karen
      Northern Michigan

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Brenda Faye Parker <fairplay51@...> wrote:

      > You can send to nara and get the records.
      >

      > Am proud member of the IBSSG

    • Marilynn
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 31, 2011
        Does anyone know if/where obits are available from StaatsZeitung of New York
        City?