Johnson family from Johnson/Massac County Illinois

  • Erin Ragsdale
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      I need help finding information about my Johnson family line. I have been able to trace it back to Thomas Johnson b cira 1830s and d between 1860 and 1870. I know he married a Lavina, but do not know her maiden name. They appear in the census in 1840, 1850, 1860, then he dies. They live in Massac County (which before 1848 was part of Johnson County, IL). I know they adopted a baby girl (Laura) who came to the area on the Trail of Tears. Family story has it that Lavina was actually Thomas' 2nd wife, and that Lauras mom died of milk fever.

      there are two Thomas' in the area around the same age and have different wives n kids etc. So I have run into problems seperating the two in records.

      I have found a bunch of Johnsons in the area all the way back to the 1800 census. But I have been unable to link Thomas with these Johnsons. I would love to know if anyone is able to find more information on this family. It has been a great mystery for my family for years.

      Erin R
      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android