RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Using Google more effectively Tutorial

  • Roberta Baum
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2011
      Hello, Mark Rabideau: I enjoy your posts, also. I'm going to cut to the chase: I have a friend whose grandfather came here from Germany in 1897, or thereabouts and applied for naturalization in 1918. She has tried everything including NARA, been to NY, wrote letters to the church (Lutheran) he attended in Westchester Co. Everything. His name is Wilhelm John Guilzon but she doesn't know where he was born. She can find no trace of him. She feels that because of the upheaval in Germany after both world wars, that his place of birth may have landed in another country like Poland or France or Russia. What or how would you recommend proceeding to find any information on him? I have "Address Book for Germanic Genealogy" 6th edition by Ernest Thode, but I really don't know where to start with it. Can you make any recommendations? Thanks for anything you may wish to pass my way. Roberta Baum

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: genealogy@...
      Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:00:19 +0000
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Using Google more effectively Tutorial

      For those of you who may be interested in a brief tutorial on using Search engines (like google) more effectively, I have posted an article on the subject at:

      http://www.many-roads.com/?p=9110

      ...mark

    • Mark F Rabideau
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2011
        Hi Roberta

        I guess I would start by verifying the the spelling of the name is
        correct and it's not Anglicized. Wilhelm John Guilzon is not a very
        German looking name. Only the Wilhelm looks German. I am almost
        certain that the surname has been altered from the original. I have
        never seen Guilzon as a German family name. If I knew how the surname
        was supposed to be pronounced I could take a stab at getting it into a
        more German form. Also the middle name John is also not in its
        'original' German form- Johann. I certainly am happy to believe that
        any German documents are extremely difficult to ferret out for a person
        with this name spelling.

        --
        Pax Vobiscum,
        ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

        Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
        Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
        phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
        member:Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
        Society
        "It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
        want him or whether you don’t."

        Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

        From: genealogy@...
        Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:00:19 +0000
        Tutorial

        For those of you who may be interested in a brief tutorial on using
        Search engines (like google) more effectively, I have posted an article
        on the subject at:

        http://www.many-roads.com/?p=9110

        ...mark

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
          Roberta -

          Is this him?

          1900 Yorktown(Yonkers), Westchester, New York
          (in the household of August & Mary Kuhl)
          Guilzon, William, son-in-law 30 married 2 yrs born Jul 1869 Germany
          - immigration 1890
          Emma, daughter 19 married 2 yrs born Jun 1880 New York
          Edward, son 2m born Mar 1900 New York

          1920 Athens, Greene, New York
          Guilzon, William, head 49 married, born Germany
          - immigration 1892, naturalized 1918
          (), Emma/39, Edward/20, Matilda/10,
          (), William/5, August/5, Emma/5, Lillian/4+3m
          (1930: same family, same locale: William J Guilzon)

          Have you tried Castle Garden (NY)? http://castlegarden.org/
          "... an extraordinary database of information on 11 million immigrants from 1820 through 1892, the year Ellis Island opened."

          Possible variants: GULTZOW/GULZOW (with or without umlaut-U);
          GILSON/GILTSON/GUILTSON/GUILSON/GUELSON/...

          - Tom Knox