Need help finding railroad info

  • Sunny
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2011
      How would I go about finding more (online) info on my maternal grandfather's time working on the PA railroad system? All I know is, he was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and was in Pa. I don't know what area/town he lived in in PA.

      He possibly worked the RR in MI approx 1905-1925-30
      and OH approx 1925 or 30 but he also had other jobs in those states so not sure so, I am focusing on Pa for now.

      (In MI he lived in Detroit and in Ohio he lived in Canton).

      NAME: James Allen Howard
      DOB: Nov. 1, 1885 in Pa.
      DOD: Sept. 16, 1962 in Canton, Ohio.

      Other than city born in, I do not need other data info abt him. I have all I need...am only interested in his RR occupation at this time; what his capacity was, name of trains he worked on or yards he worked for etc.

      I am in Wa state, not the other states mentioned and will not be traveling to them so I am forced to only search online.
      Thanks to all for any direction you can give me.
      Sunny
    • s
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2011
        He worked for the Pa RR Co.
        sunny

        How would I go about finding more (online) info on my maternal grandfather's time working on the PA railroad system? All I know is, he was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and was in Pa. I don't know what area/town he lived in in PA.

      • Vetqueen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
          Google PA Railroad. One site I looked at was the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society at http://www.prrths.com/. They have a research contact too.
          Good luck. Diane

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sunny" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

          > How would I go about finding more (online) info on my maternal grandfather's time working on the PA railroad system? All I know is, he was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and was in Pa. I don't know what area/town he lived in in PA.
          >
          > He possibly worked the RR in MI approx 1905-1925-30
          > and OH approx 1925 or 30 but he also had other jobs in those states so not sure so, I am focusing on Pa for now.
          >
          > (In MI he lived in Detroit and in Ohio he lived in Canton).
          >
          > NAME: James Allen Howard
          > DOB: Nov. 1, 1885 in Pa.
          > DOD: Sept. 16, 1962 in Canton, Ohio.
          >
          > Other than city born in, I do not need other data info abt him. I have all I need...am only interested in his RR occupation at this time; what his capacity was, name of trains he worked on or yards he worked for etc.
          >
          > I am in Wa state, not the other states mentioned and will not be traveling to them so I am forced to only search online.
          > Thanks to all for any direction you can give me.
          > Sunny

        • s
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2011
            thanks, will check it out.