Palmiter, Eli Dead End

  • larsan11
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hello to all,I am new to the group. I have looked in interest at your web-site and find it one of the more informative. I hope that you all can be of some help to me.

      I am a direct decendant to Eli and have hit a dead end with Eli Palmiter.This is some of what I know:

      Eli Palmiter, Birth place New York
      Mother Unknown
      Parents of:

      Philander Palmiter, Birth about 1824,,in NY
      Death before 1841,, in Illinois (age 56)
      Married April 21, 1841 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio at (age 17) to Gracie(Gracy)Flick
      Note: Eli wrote his name between the lines on the application to marry because Philander was a minor. This is the only link I have as to the father of Philander.
      Parents of:

      Alvetus Palmiter, Birth 1853 Kent County,Mich
      Death Dec. 28,1917,,Enfield, White County,Illinois(age 64)
      Married about 1874/5 (at age 22) to Margaret Rainey
    • nancyw
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 9:14 AM
        Hi,

        One of my favoite websites is Find A Grave (completely free) www.findagrave.com.

        On Find A Grave I found Gracie (Flick) Palmiter (1823-1901) buried Enfield Cemetery, White County, Ill. On her memorial page it states her spouce was Peter C. Palmiter b. 1822 d. ? and buried at the same cemetery as Gracie. Could this Peter be your Eli? All the information you provided fits except for the first name.

        On Find A Grave you can search with just a last name which is what I suggest you try doing for other family members. Normally if they were married you can find their spouce in the same cemetery and chances are that others with that same last name buried in the same cemetery are related.

        Hope this helps.

        Nancy

        Message 3 of 3 , May 5 8:50 AM
          Nancy, thank you for your response. As far as I can tell, Peter is not a relative. I was aware of the grave marker with his name. I have not found any thing so far in my research showing him as a connection.
          I do find that his proximity to Gracey in the cemetary as highly unusual. I have still not ruled him out.

          Since my first posting I have made a major break thru on Eli Palmiter.
          After giving another researcher the info on Eli Palmiter he made the connection and filled in the blanks for me.

          Thank you