Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Proper Names/Nicknames - TO TIMOTHY

  • Karen Minnemeyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
      Thank you Timothy:

      All of the genealogy software programs I have used have had a field for alias or nickname.  The program I am currently using not only has a  field for "name used", but also has a field for "married name".  So all reports show the female as SURNAME, First, Middle, (Married) with their "name used" in the Events field.

      My concern was on photos.  I'm trying to label all of the old photos for future generations, primarily for my son.  I do not intentionally use Aunt, Uncle, etc. on any photo although some that I have were identified that way by my mother and grandmother.  That was actually helpful in that, even though I did not know the name, it sent me in the right direction for my research.

      Karen

      Karen E. Minnemeyer
      kamiki1@...
      http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
      http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

    • Roberta Baum
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
        SHello, Timothy Campbell: I can relate! My mother chose to call me by my midle name but in filling out forms, I put down my given name as well. So I was called by that name when I would first go to a doctor's office, etc. And then spent weeks "training" the new staff to use my middle name. That's also typical of my ancestors' families. Oh, well. Roberta Baum

        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: timothyfcampbell@...
        Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:42:40 +0000
        Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Proper Names/Nicknames

        For a person known by middle name: Frank "Roy" Chappell (name used in quotes)
        For a person known by a nickname: (Sonny) William Earl McGuilvary (name used precedes in brackets)
        Aunts and uncles: (Aunt) Patricia Lorraine (Guerney) Rayment (maiden name in brackets but I also used married name) *note: I only identify someone as aunt/uncle when the report is to/for a specific person, otherwise the reference may be wrong.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:

        > This is a problem I have encountered so many times and I am wondering how
        > everyone else handles it.
        >
        > My family, for generations, has had the habit of using middle or nicknames for
        > people throughout their lives. I have always stuck with using given names for
        > my genealogy work, listing nicknames as additional names. But this has become a
        > problem when labeling photos.
        >
        > An example: my Aunt was named Ravena May but was called Susie from birth. My
        > son was looking through one of my binders and found a photo of Ravena and asked
        > who the heck Ravena was. I had to tell him it was his great aunt Susie, the
        > only name he had ever known her by. I have the same problem with my father,
        > mother, sister, a grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc.
        >
        > Examples: My father was Costa Joseph - always called Joe; my mother was Lydia
        > Margaret - always called Marnie; my sister was Margaret Joan - always called
        > Joanne, an uncle was Charles Hollis - but always called Hollis.
        >
        > I understand the necessity of using given names, but since I am doing this
        > primarily for my son, how do I not totally confuse him and his cousins
        > particularly when labeling photos?
        >
        > Karen
        >

        > Karen E. Minnemeyer
        > kamiki1@...
        > http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
        > http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

      • Ahliss Helton
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2011
          Just put real names and names they have gone by for years on back of pictures or where ever your putting them !!