Re: Proper Names/Nicknames

  • timothyfcampbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14, 2011
      For a person known by middle name: Frank "Roy" Chappell (name used in quotes)
      For a person known by a nickname: (Sonny) William Earl McGuilvary (name used precedes in brackets)
      Aunts and uncles: (Aunt) Patricia Lorraine (Guerney) Rayment (maiden name in brackets but I also used married name) *note: I only identify someone as aunt/uncle when the report is to/for a specific person, otherwise the reference may be wrong.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:

      > This is a problem I have encountered so many times and I am wondering how
      > everyone else handles it.
      >
      > My family, for generations, has had the habit of using middle or nicknames for
      > people throughout their lives. I have always stuck with using given names for
      > my genealogy work, listing nicknames as additional names. But this has become a
      > problem when labeling photos.
      >
      > An example: my Aunt was named Ravena May but was called Susie from birth. My
      > son was looking through one of my binders and found a photo of Ravena and asked
      > who the heck Ravena was. I had to tell him it was his great aunt Susie, the
      > only name he had ever known her by. I have the same problem with my father,
      > mother, sister, a grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc.
      >
      > Examples: My father was Costa Joseph - always called Joe; my mother was Lydia
      > Margaret - always called Marnie; my sister was Margaret Joan - always called
      > Joanne, an uncle was Charles Hollis - but always called Hollis.
      >
      > I understand the necessity of using given names, but since I am doing this
      > primarily for my son, how do I not totally confuse him and his cousins
      > particularly when labeling photos?
      >
      > Karen
      >

      > Karen E. Minnemeyer
      > kamiki1@...
      > http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
      > http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
        Thank you Timothy:

        All of the genealogy software programs I have used have had a field for alias or nickname.  The program I am currently using not only has a  field for "name used", but also has a field for "married name".  So all reports show the female as SURNAME, First, Middle, (Married) with their "name used" in the Events field.

        My concern was on photos.  I'm trying to label all of the old photos for future generations, primarily for my son.  I do not intentionally use Aunt, Uncle, etc. on any photo although some that I have were identified that way by my mother and grandmother.  That was actually helpful in that, even though I did not know the name, it sent me in the right direction for my research.

        Karen

        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...
        http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
        http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

      • george burnash
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
          This is where I love programs like Rootsmagic. When you enter someone
          into your tree in Rootsmagic there are places for given names (first and
          middle), surname, prefix, suffix, and nickname. Using the nickname box
          is an easy solution to figuring out where or what to do with them. If
          you then do a printout of the person it will put the nicknames into
          quotes into the middle of the person's name. e.g. George Olifiers
          "Georgie" Burnash. And it makes it very easy to keep straight and
          standardized.

          George

          --
          ------------------------------------
          With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
            Thank you Timothyfcampbell your method makes the most sense.

            Lee Taylor-Elliott

            For a person known by middle name: Frank "Roy" Chappell (name used in quotes)
            For a person known by a nickname: (Sonny) William Earl McGuilvary (name used precedes in brackets)
            Aunts and uncles: (Aunt) Patricia Lorraine (Guerney) Rayment (maiden name in brackets but I also used married name) *note: I only identify someone as aunt/uncle when the report is to/for a specific person, otherwise the reference may be wrong.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:

            > This is a problem I have encountered so many times and I am wondering how
            > everyone else handles it.
            >
            > My family, for generations, has had the habit of using middle or nicknames for
            > people throughout their lives. I have always stuck with using given names for
            > my genealogy work, listing nicknames as additional names. But this has become a
            > problem when labeling photos.
            >
            > An example: my Aunt was named Ravena May but was called Susie from birth. My
            > son was looking through one of my binders and found a photo of Ravena and asked
            > who the heck Ravena was. I had to tell him it was his great aunt Susie, the
            > only name he had ever known her by. I have the same problem with my father,
            > mother, sister, a grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc.
            >
            > Examples: My father was Costa Joseph - always called Joe; my mother was Lydia
            > Margaret - always called Marnie; my sister was Margaret Joan - always called
            > Joanne, an uncle was Charles Hollis - but always called Hollis.
            >
            > I understand the necessity of using given names, but since I am doing this
            > primarily for my son, how do I not totally confuse him and his cousins
            > particularly when labeling photos?
            >
            > Karen
            >

            > Karen E. Minnemeyer
            > kamiki1@...
            > http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
            > http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

          • Roberta Baum
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 15, 2011
              SHello, Timothy Campbell: I can relate! My mother chose to call me by my midle name but in filling out forms, I put down my given name as well. So I was called by that name when I would first go to a doctor's office, etc. And then spent weeks "training" the new staff to use my middle name. That's also typical of my ancestors' families. Oh, well. Roberta Baum

              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: timothyfcampbell@...
              Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:42:40 +0000

              For a person known by middle name: Frank "Roy" Chappell (name used in quotes)
              For a person known by a nickname: (Sonny) William Earl McGuilvary (name used precedes in brackets)
              Aunts and uncles: (Aunt) Patricia Lorraine (Guerney) Rayment (maiden name in brackets but I also used married name) *note: I only identify someone as aunt/uncle when the report is to/for a specific person, otherwise the reference may be wrong.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:

              > This is a problem I have encountered so many times and I am wondering how
              > everyone else handles it.
              >
              > My family, for generations, has had the habit of using middle or nicknames for
              > people throughout their lives. I have always stuck with using given names for
              > my genealogy work, listing nicknames as additional names. But this has become a
              > problem when labeling photos.
              >
              > An example: my Aunt was named Ravena May but was called Susie from birth. My
              > son was looking through one of my binders and found a photo of Ravena and asked
              > who the heck Ravena was. I had to tell him it was his great aunt Susie, the
              > only name he had ever known her by. I have the same problem with my father,
              > mother, sister, a grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc.
              >
              > Examples: My father was Costa Joseph - always called Joe; my mother was Lydia
              > Margaret - always called Marnie; my sister was Margaret Joan - always called
              > Joanne, an uncle was Charles Hollis - but always called Hollis.
              >
              > I understand the necessity of using given names, but since I am doing this
              > primarily for my son, how do I not totally confuse him and his cousins
              > particularly when labeling photos?
              >
              > Karen
              >

              > Karen E. Minnemeyer
              > kamiki1@...
              > http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
              > http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

            • Ahliss Helton
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 16, 2011
                Just put real names and names they have gone by for years on back of pictures or where ever your putting them !!