Free Civil War Records (cross posted)

  • Forrest Plumstead
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011
      Starting today through the next week ancestry.com is offering open access to
      it's Civil War records

      --
      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Plumstead and Associated Families:

    • tenmans38@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2011
        I am not a member of ancestry.com but I know that one of three
        Harrison Thompson's (my grandfather) served in the union during
        the civil war.He is the one in Ralls Mo. or one of the two from Illinois.
        Is there a way of getting a more local home address from these records.
        This is what I already know:

        1. Harrison Thompson
        private company B 5th regiment Missouri state militia cavalry.
        Appears on returns as follows Oct 1862 loss Oct 7 Kansas city deserted.
        No further records.

        2. Harrison Thompson
        Residence Genoa Illinois enlisted on 6-13-1861 as a private
        mustered into D co.IL 15th Infantry.He mustered out on 5-24-1864
        Genoa sent 109(with a population of 985)men to join the Union army.

        3. Harrison Thompson
        Residence Dement Illinois enlisted on 9-15-1861 as a private
        On 11-19-1861 he mustered into C co. IL 52nd Infantry.
        Date and method of discharge unknown

      • lee taylor
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2011
          Go to Illinois State Civil War then type Thompson, Harrison click on his name it gives a description place he lived and mustered out info. Good luck.

          Lee Taylor-Elliott

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2011
            At the Illinois State Civil War site it lists the word "Nativity"for each
            person who served.This is always followed by the listing of a county
            and state.Does the word Nativity mean that persons birth county and state?
            In other words does it mean that is where that person was born?

            Mike

            Posted by: "lee taylor"
            Go to Illinois State Civil War then type Thompson, Harrison click on his
            name it gives a description place he lived and mustered out info. Good luck.

            Lee Taylor-Elliott

          • Karen Minnemeyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
              Yes, nativity means birth or place of birth.

              Sent from my mobile. Please excuse brevity, spelling and punctuation.

              On Apr 12, 2011, at 7:02 PM, tenmans38@... wrote:

              > At the Illinois State Civil War site it lists the word "Nativity"for each
              > person who served.This is always followed by the listing of a county
              > and state.Does the word Nativity mean that persons birth county and state?
              > In other words does it mean that is where that person was born?
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > Posted by: "lee taylor"
              > Go to Illinois State Civil War then type Thompson, Harrison click on his
              > name it gives a description place he lived and mustered out info. Good luck.
              >
              > Lee Taylor-Elliott

            • Tammy Evans
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
                Mike that's where the person was born

                Tammy

              • tenmans38@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 14, 2011
                  Thank you Tammy and Karen. The two Harrison Thompson's in Illinois
                  could not have been mine.But the one that enrolled in St. Joseph Mo.
                  on March 19 1862 and mustered in March 21 1862 there is mine.
                  He did not marry until Aug 1871. I am going to be digging around in
                  the St Joseph Mo. area looking for any sibling obits.His Fathers
                  name was George Thompson and there are two of them living there
                  in the 1861 directory. Three Thompsons were pony express riders there
                  then.And the Mayor was named Thompson to. I hope to find some
                  more ancestors there.;-)

                  Mike