Re: New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
      Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
      - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
      - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
      the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

      also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
      http://www.USGenWeb.com
      and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
      http://boards.ancestry.com/

      and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
      http://www.FamilySearch.org

      and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
      http://www.cyndislist.com/

      - Tom Knox

    • tenmans38@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
        Rose one of the best ways to proceed is to collect what you do know
        and post it on all the free sites where everyone will look first. Remember
        there maybe someone else in a branch of your tree looking for you.
        Remember to list those surnames and go back as far as you can because
        it may link with someone else's information that you want.

        Something like this happened to me. I spent endless hours searching.
        I would find things now and then.One day I came across an 8 year old
        posting of someone trying to help someone else out with what they had.
        It did not help them but it did connect them to my Grandfathers brother.
        They were his direct descendants and they were my unknown living cousins.
        It was like discovering family that you never knew that you had.We shared
        pictures and info and they have even been in our town once.

        I also found 10 year old postings that seemed connected to my Mothers
        side of the family. Unfortunately the email address were dead and no way
        to reach those people(I think they were Verizon screen address).Still I
        know
        that they are out there and that one day I may find them again.

        Remember the fun is in the hunt and the clues that are left behind for the
        next
        hunter to find you. I mean unknown family of course. ;-)

        Mike Thompson

        Posted by: "Rose Lieberman"