Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • Peggie Sevem
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
      I missed genealogy 101!  Why should I not post it on any site?
       Peggie

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
        Rose another site that might be of help, that I have found lots of family and
        hints of places/names to look.  rootsweb.com
        Genforum, I found lots of stuff too.
        I now work off of ancestry.com and have put my family tree on their website.
        Have met several relatives that I didn't know I had.

        Good luck on your search, it's sooooooo much fun.
        Jan Martin
        Sacramento, CA

        ________________________________

        wrote:

        > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
        >
        > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the
        >route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
        >
        > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I
        >have about him is his date and place of death.
        >
        > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and
        >grandfather, but that’s about it.
        >

        > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of
        >my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I
        >do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in
        >southern Italy.
        >
        > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rose

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
          Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
          - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
          - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
          the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

          also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
          http://www.USGenWeb.com
          and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
          http://boards.ancestry.com/

          and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
          http://www.FamilySearch.org

          and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
          http://www.cyndislist.com/

          - Tom Knox

        • tenmans38@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
            Rose one of the best ways to proceed is to collect what you do know
            and post it on all the free sites where everyone will look first. Remember
            there maybe someone else in a branch of your tree looking for you.
            Remember to list those surnames and go back as far as you can because
            it may link with someone else's information that you want.

            Something like this happened to me. I spent endless hours searching.
            I would find things now and then.One day I came across an 8 year old
            posting of someone trying to help someone else out with what they had.
            It did not help them but it did connect them to my Grandfathers brother.
            They were his direct descendants and they were my unknown living cousins.
            It was like discovering family that you never knew that you had.We shared
            pictures and info and they have even been in our town once.

            I also found 10 year old postings that seemed connected to my Mothers
            side of the family. Unfortunately the email address were dead and no way
            to reach those people(I think they were Verizon screen address).Still I
            know
            that they are out there and that one day I may find them again.

            Remember the fun is in the hunt and the clues that are left behind for the
            next
            hunter to find you. I mean unknown family of course. ;-)

            Mike Thompson

            Posted by: "Rose Lieberman"