Re: New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • Lulu
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
      Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
      birth certificate.
      There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

      good luck if you need more help e-mail.

      Lulu

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

      > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
      >
      > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
      >
      > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
      > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
      >
      > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
      >
      > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Rose

    • Peggie Sevem
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
        I missed genealogy 101!  Why should I not post it on any site?
         Peggie

        Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
        birth certificate.
        There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

        good luck if you need more help e-mail.

        Lulu

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

        > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
        >
        > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
        >
        > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
        > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
        >
        > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
        >
        > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rose

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
          Rose another site that might be of help, that I have found lots of family and
          hints of places/names to look.  rootsweb.com
          Genforum, I found lots of stuff too.
          I now work off of ancestry.com and have put my family tree on their website.
          Have met several relatives that I didn't know I had.

          Good luck on your search, it's sooooooo much fun.
          Jan Martin
          Sacramento, CA

          ________________________________

          wrote:

          > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
          >
          > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the
          >route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
          >
          > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I
          >have about him is his date and place of death.
          >
          > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and
          >grandfather, but that’s about it.
          >

          > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of
          >my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I
          >do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in
          >southern Italy.
          >
          > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Rose

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
            Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
            - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
            - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
            the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

            also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
            http://www.USGenWeb.com
            and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
            http://boards.ancestry.com/

            and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
            http://www.FamilySearch.org

            and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
            http://www.cyndislist.com/

            - Tom Knox

          • tenmans38@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
              Rose one of the best ways to proceed is to collect what you do know
              and post it on all the free sites where everyone will look first. Remember
              there maybe someone else in a branch of your tree looking for you.
              Remember to list those surnames and go back as far as you can because
              it may link with someone else's information that you want.

              Something like this happened to me. I spent endless hours searching.
              I would find things now and then.One day I came across an 8 year old
              posting of someone trying to help someone else out with what they had.
              It did not help them but it did connect them to my Grandfathers brother.
              They were his direct descendants and they were my unknown living cousins.
              It was like discovering family that you never knew that you had.We shared
              pictures and info and they have even been in our town once.

              I also found 10 year old postings that seemed connected to my Mothers
              side of the family. Unfortunately the email address were dead and no way
              to reach those people(I think they were Verizon screen address).Still I
              know
              that they are out there and that one day I may find them again.

              Remember the fun is in the hunt and the clues that are left behind for the
              next
              hunter to find you. I mean unknown family of course. ;-)

              Mike Thompson

              Posted by: "Rose Lieberman"