Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • DABennink
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
      Hi, Rose!

      I can’t offer you a lot of suggestions for searching for Italian records as I have no Italian roots.

      You might want to write for your father’s SS5 record as that might give you some insight.

      Where in upstate NY are you? I’m in the far West corner of the state.

      I have ancestry.com, so if you have some names and dates for your parents, I could help look a bit to get you started.

      Dawn

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
        Some libraries will offer free access to sites like ancestry.com if you are in their library. Check your public library or the libraries at any college or universities that are nearby. Ancestry has census records and other records.

        Jen R. in Ohio

      • Marilynn
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
          Jennifer wrote:
          "Some libraries will offer free access to sites like ancestry.com if you are in their library. "

          My local library also has Heritage Quest. You need a little instruction to get going but it is great to use.

          Marilynn

        • Lulu
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
            Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
            birth certificate.
            There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

            good luck if you need more help e-mail.

            Lulu

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

            > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
            >
            > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
            >
            > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
            > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
            >
            > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
            >
            > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Rose

          • Peggie Sevem
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
              I missed genealogy 101!  Why should I not post it on any site?
               Peggie

              Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
              birth certificate.
              There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

              good luck if you need more help e-mail.

              Lulu

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

              > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
              >
              > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
              >
              > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
              > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
              >
              > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
              >
              > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Rose

            • Jan Martin
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
                Rose another site that might be of help, that I have found lots of family and
                hints of places/names to look.  rootsweb.com
                Genforum, I found lots of stuff too.
                I now work off of ancestry.com and have put my family tree on their website.
                Have met several relatives that I didn't know I had.

                Good luck on your search, it's sooooooo much fun.
                Jan Martin
                Sacramento, CA

                ________________________________

                wrote:

                > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
                >
                > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the
                >route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
                >
                > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I
                >have about him is his date and place of death.
                >
                > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and
                >grandfather, but that’s about it.
                >

                > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of
                >my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I
                >do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in
                >southern Italy.
                >
                > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Rose

              • Bloodhound; Kermit
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
                  Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
                  - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
                  - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
                  the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

                  also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
                  http://www.USGenWeb.com
                  and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
                  http://boards.ancestry.com/

                  and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
                  http://www.FamilySearch.org

                  and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
                  http://www.cyndislist.com/

                  - Tom Knox

                • tenmans38@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
                    Rose one of the best ways to proceed is to collect what you do know
                    and post it on all the free sites where everyone will look first. Remember
                    there maybe someone else in a branch of your tree looking for you.
                    Remember to list those surnames and go back as far as you can because
                    it may link with someone else's information that you want.

                    Something like this happened to me. I spent endless hours searching.
                    I would find things now and then.One day I came across an 8 year old
                    posting of someone trying to help someone else out with what they had.
                    It did not help them but it did connect them to my Grandfathers brother.
                    They were his direct descendants and they were my unknown living cousins.
                    It was like discovering family that you never knew that you had.We shared
                    pictures and info and they have even been in our town once.

                    I also found 10 year old postings that seemed connected to my Mothers
                    side of the family. Unfortunately the email address were dead and no way
                    to reach those people(I think they were Verizon screen address).Still I
                    know
                    that they are out there and that one day I may find them again.

                    Remember the fun is in the hunt and the clues that are left behind for the
                    next
                    hunter to find you. I mean unknown family of course. ;-)

                    Mike Thompson

                    Posted by: "Rose Lieberman"