RE: [Genealogy Research Club] New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • Tracy Collins
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5 10:55 AM
      Hi Rose and welcome.

      First, I would recommend taking your time and looking into one to two people
      from each side of the family first. If you do more than that, it can very
      easily become overwhelming and confusing. I know this from experience. :-)

      For your father, since you know the death date and place of your father I
      would start with trying to get his death certificate and/or an obituary this
      should at least give you information about his adoptive parents and whether
      he was married and any other children he may have had. If he did have
      additional children, and you fill comfortable doing it, see if you can
      locate them and contact them. However, be prepared because they may not be
      aware that you even existed so they might not be too happy to talk to you.
      Since I don't have a lot of experience with adoption I can't be of much more
      help for that.

      As for your mother, since you know that she was born in NJ you could look
      for her on census records and you can do this by going to Ancestry.com (fee)
      or even familysearch.org (free) this should list where her parents were born
      and when they immigrated to the US. Once you get that information then take
      a look online for possible boats that they came over on and try to locate
      their names on sites such as:
      http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/immigration/index.shtml Once you get that
      information you can try to either find information about them on
      Ancestry.com (you would need the world membership) find somebody who has a
      membership to the World version and pay them to look it up for you or find
      forums of genealogists who specialize in Italian ancestry. That is what I
      would try.

      Hope this helps,

      Tracy Collins

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5 1:21 PM
        Hi, Rose!

        I can’t offer you a lot of suggestions for searching for Italian records as I have no Italian roots.

        You might want to write for your father’s SS5 record as that might give you some insight.

        Where in upstate NY are you? I’m in the far West corner of the state.

        I have ancestry.com, so if you have some names and dates for your parents, I could help look a bit to get you started.

        Dawn

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5 2:05 PM
          Some libraries will offer free access to sites like ancestry.com if you are in their library. Check your public library or the libraries at any college or universities that are nearby. Ancestry has census records and other records.

          Jen R. in Ohio

        • Marilynn
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5 4:02 PM
            Jennifer wrote:
            "Some libraries will offer free access to sites like ancestry.com if you are in their library. "

            My local library also has Heritage Quest. You need a little instruction to get going but it is great to use.

            Marilynn

          • Lulu
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5 5:07 PM
              Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
              birth certificate.
              There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

              good luck if you need more help e-mail.

              Lulu

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

              > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
              >
              > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
              >
              > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
              > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
              >
              > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
              >
              > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Rose

            • Peggie Sevem
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5 6:42 PM
                I missed genealogy 101!  Why should I not post it on any site?
                 Peggie

                Hi Rose I've been doing the family search thing since 1978. First never post anything on the websites like Ancestry.com or PAF, use them for your advantage by surfing those sites. If I were you I would firt send for my fathers social security number application, when you get that then send for his death certificate, then the marriage licence, remember the licence and the marriage certifate is two different things and sometimes as different information then his
                birth certificate.
                There is a lot of good information out there but you have to be careful who put the information together.

                good luck if you need more help e-mail.

                Lulu

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

                > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
                >
                > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
                >
                > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
                > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that’s about it.
                >
                > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
                >
                > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Rose

              • Jan Martin
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5 7:06 PM
                  Rose another site that might be of help, that I have found lots of family and
                  hints of places/names to look.  rootsweb.com
                  Genforum, I found lots of stuff too.
                  I now work off of ancestry.com and have put my family tree on their website.
                  Have met several relatives that I didn't know I had.

                  Good luck on your search, it's sooooooo much fun.
                  Jan Martin
                  Sacramento, CA

                  ________________________________

                  wrote:

                  > Hello. My name is Rose, I’m 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
                  >
                  > I’d like to research my roots but I don’t know how to begin, since the
                  >route doesn’t promise to be without potholes.
                  >
                  > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I
                  >have about him is his date and place of death.
                  >
                  > My mother’s side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and
                  >grandfather, but that’s about it.
                  >

                  > I’m currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of
                  >my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who’s birth/place I
                  >do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in
                  >southern Italy.
                  >
                  > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Rose

                • Bloodhound; Kermit
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6 4:37 PM
                    Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
                    - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
                    - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
                    the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

                    also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
                    http://www.USGenWeb.com
                    and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
                    http://boards.ancestry.com/

                    and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
                    http://www.FamilySearch.org

                    and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
                    http://www.cyndislist.com/

                    - Tom Knox

                  • tenmans38@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6 5:07 PM
                      Rose one of the best ways to proceed is to collect what you do know
                      and post it on all the free sites where everyone will look first. Remember
                      there maybe someone else in a branch of your tree looking for you.
                      Remember to list those surnames and go back as far as you can because
                      it may link with someone else's information that you want.

                      Something like this happened to me. I spent endless hours searching.
                      I would find things now and then.One day I came across an 8 year old
                      posting of someone trying to help someone else out with what they had.
                      It did not help them but it did connect them to my Grandfathers brother.
                      They were his direct descendants and they were my unknown living cousins.
                      It was like discovering family that you never knew that you had.We shared
                      pictures and info and they have even been in our town once.

                      I also found 10 year old postings that seemed connected to my Mothers
                      side of the family. Unfortunately the email address were dead and no way
                      to reach those people(I think they were Verizon screen address).Still I
                      know
                      that they are out there and that one day I may find them again.

                      Remember the fun is in the hunt and the clues that are left behind for the
                      next
                      hunter to find you. I mean unknown family of course. ;-)

                      Mike Thompson

                      Posted by: "Rose Lieberman"