genealogybank --HELP

  • Julie Rittacco
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
      Peggy, I took your suggestion and went with genealogybank. I have been on the site for 3 days now and have found nothing. I even put in info I already knew or had, and nothing. I must be really doing something incorrectly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Julie

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: Pegasus44@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:09:08 +0000

      I use genealogybank.com and love it. I found they have more coverage. I tried both before I decided, and got way more hits on GB.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "s" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

      > It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.
      >
      > The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
      >
      > who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
      >
      > I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.
      >
      > If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.
      >
      > Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
      >
      > Sunny

    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
        I had the best luck with using just a last name (and a state or 2) and then wading through the results. I'd find relatives that would lead me to more info frequently.

        You can click on a state, then drill down to city or a specific paper. I try not to limit it that way. Best luck was with my people that lived in big cities - those collections are very complete.

        Where are you looking for your people?
        Peggy

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Julie Rittacco <susietaco@...> wrote:

        > Peggy, I took your suggestion and went with genealogybank. I have been on the site for 3 days now and have found nothing. I even put in info I already knew or had, and nothing. I must be really doing something incorrectly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Julie
        >

        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
        > From: Pegasus44@...
        > Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:09:08 +0000
        >

        > I use genealogybank.com and love it. I found they have more coverage. I tried both before I decided, and got way more hits on GB.
        >
        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "s" <circa_1948@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.
        > >
        > > The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
        > >
        > > who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
        > >
        > > I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.
        > >
        > > If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.
        > >
        > > Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
        > >
        > > Sunny

      • Julie Rittacco
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
          Mainly Indiana, then back to Ohio and NC for now. Julie

          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: Pegasus44@...
          Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:34:30 +0000
          Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: genealogybank --HELP