Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Home Jails in Denmark?

  • lee taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2011
      That is really interesting keep us posted so we can broaden our scope of the way things are done in foreign countries, is that a little, little town?

      Lee Taylor-Elliott

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16, 2011
        Thanks for your interest. Aalborg is actually the 4th biggest city in Denmark. My ancestor, Peter Petersen, was a carriage maker by trade, but in his later years apparently lived with his wife and youngest child IN the jailhouse...and he worked as a jailor. I guess it's not necessarily a Euro-centric thing. Rather, a 19th century concept, that one could take a job as a jailor, and live at the courthouse for free.

      • gaelic.charm@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2011
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lobsterjesus" <lobsterjesus@...> wrote:

          > can anyone shed any light on why Denmark would allow private citizens keep prisoners in their homes? <

          Hi,

          My husband and I purchased an old historic home in Vermont in 1985. At one time, it had belonged to a local justice of the peace.

          Lo and behold, we learned that it had a small cell in the basement, used (apparently) as a temporary jail -- perhaps until someone being "on hold" temporarily could be transported to the nearest city that had a real jail -- not a prison.

          In the US, jail is for temporary custody, I believe.

          Barbara D. Brill
        • Tammy Evans
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
            Hello, reading your post about Peter Peterson and was wondering if your Peterson is any relation to a John Peterson b. 1833 Denmark that came to America in 1863? His father was Peder Anderson b. 1788 Qvandioese (Kvanioese) Parish, Denmark his was Anders Person b. 1749 Asmindrup, Denmark his was Peder Nielsen.

            Thanks
            Tammy Evans

            Thanks for your interest. Aalborg is actually the 4th biggest city in Denmark. My ancestor, Peter Petersen, was a carriage maker by trade, but in his later years apparently lived with his wife and youngest child IN the jailhouse...and he worked as a jailor. I guess it's not necessarily a Euro-centric thing. Rather, a 19th century concept, that one could take a job as a jailor, and live at the courthouse for free.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, lee taylor <leet_91737@...> wrote:

            > That is really interesting keep us posted so we can broaden our scope of the way things are done in foreign countries, is that a little, little town?
            >
            > Lee Taylor-Elliott

          • DABennink
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
              Are you certain they had prisoners in their home and not that they lived at the jail? There is, of course, a difference. I’ve seen jailors and inmates listed on census pages in the U.S., and they are not the jailers homes but the prisons or jails that often have a home for the head jailer/warden.

              Dawn

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 10:41 AM
                Hi Tammy. As far as I know, there was no John in my family, and they were all from Alborg for generations prior, not Asmindrup. Peter Petersen is an extremely common name, unfortunately for both of us!

                Scott Leonard

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tammy Evans" <hydi828@...> wrote:

                > Hello, reading your post about Peter Peterson and was wondering if your Peterson is any relation to a John Peterson b. 1833 Denmark that came to America in 1863? His father was Peder Anderson b. 1788 Qvandioese (Kvanioese) Parish, Denmark his was Anders Person b. 1749 Asmindrup, Denmark his was Peder Nielsen.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Tammy Evans

              • Tammy Evans
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9 9:21 AM