Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newspaper subscriptions

  • s
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2011
      the only one I have had any good measure of success with is www.newspaperarchive.com
      which is included with some genie type sites as an incentive to sign up.
      There are also many free archives elsewhere too, if you want a list email me.
      Mind you there are tricks to getting good results at newspaperarchive.com. It took me a lot of testing to find out
      I was missing a lot of items from going abt my searches wrong. Once I got wise, I got far better results.
      If you want to know more abt that I can explain. Also, although they have an enormous amt of papers,
      they still have an enormous amount to go and are adding more all the time.
      Sunny

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2011
        Explain a little more about the in's and out's of that websites blind doors I havn't found a thing I thought it was because 90% of all my research is in small towns.  I do get tired of wasting time and money.

        Lee Taylor-Elliott

        Hello, I need help? Would those of you that have newspaper subscriptions please tell me which ones you think are the best with the most info.,that have the best deals? Any insight you have will help me to choose which one to go with. Thank You, Julie

      • Darlene Christmas
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2011
          I've used newspaperarchive.com but
          would love to learn some of your tricks!
          I don't seem to be able to pull much
          up on the site!
          Any suggestions you can share would be
          greatly appreciated!!

          Darlene (xmasdarlene@...)

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2011
            It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.

            The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents

            who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.

            I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.

            If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.

            Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.

            Sunny

              I use genealogybank.com and love it. I found they have more coverage. I tried both before I decided, and got way more hits on GB.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "s" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

              > It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.
              >
              > The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
              >
              > who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
              >
              > I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.
              >
              > If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.
              >
              > Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
              >
              > Sunny

            • Julie Rittacco
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
                Peggy, I took your suggestion and went with genealogybank. I have been on the site for 3 days now and have found nothing. I even put in info I already knew or had, and nothing. I must be really doing something incorrectly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Julie

                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                From: Pegasus44@...
                Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:09:08 +0000

                I use genealogybank.com and love it. I found they have more coverage. I tried both before I decided, and got way more hits on GB.

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "s" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

                > It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.
                >
                > The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
                >
                > who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
                >
                > I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.
                >
                > If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.
                >
                > Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
                >
                > Sunny

              • Peggy
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                  I had the best luck with using just a last name (and a state or 2) and then wading through the results. I'd find relatives that would lead me to more info frequently.

                  You can click on a state, then drill down to city or a specific paper. I try not to limit it that way. Best luck was with my people that lived in big cities - those collections are very complete.

                  Where are you looking for your people?
                  Peggy

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Julie Rittacco <susietaco@...> wrote:

                  > Peggy, I took your suggestion and went with genealogybank. I have been on the site for 3 days now and have found nothing. I even put in info I already knew or had, and nothing. I must be really doing something incorrectly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Julie
                  >

                  > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: Pegasus44@...
                  > Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:09:08 +0000
                  >

                  > I use genealogybank.com and love it. I found they have more coverage. I tried both before I decided, and got way more hits on GB.
                  >
                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "s" <circa_1948@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, so never base a search in paper availability.
                  > >
                  > > The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly deaths/obits. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
                  > >
                  > > who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
                  > >
                  > > I use the advanced option and never search for a particular paper or town, only country/state and date range.
                  > >
                  > > If I don't find what I want there I search all states and widen date range by 10 yrs. One can always narrow the options down.
                  > >
                  > > Years ago when I first started at newspaperarchive.com I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
                  > >
                  > > Sunny

                • Julie Rittacco
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Mainly Indiana, then back to Ohio and NC for now. Julie

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Pegasus44@...
                    Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:34:30 +0000
                    Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: genealogybank --HELP