Prison Records

  • J.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
      I am trying to find information about Joseph Baricak who was sentenced to New Jersey state prison in July 1917. He was born 15 Mar 1871 and died in 1940. He is baried in Camden, NJ. He was residing in Camden at the time of the sentencing. I am try to find out what prison he was sent to, how long he served and if there was anything in the newspaper about why he was sent to prison. I just can't seem to find anything and I am not of member of the Newspaper Archive any longer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank You
      Jan
    • s
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2011
        will take a look at my info and get back with u
        (I am a member of newspapaerarchive.com so will check there as well as other nespapaer sites)
        sunny

        I am trying to find information about Joseph Baricak who was sentenced to New Jersey state prison in July 1917. He was born 15 Mar 1871 and died in 1940. He is baried in Camden, NJ. He was residing in Camden at the time of the sentencing. I am try to find out what prison he was sent to, how long he served and if there was anything in the newspaper about why he was sent to prison. I just can't seem to find anything and I am not of member of the Newspaper Archive any longer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank You
        Jan

      • irishartinaz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
          Do what I did - find an email address for someone in the state corrections department and ask them for help - I got all the reformatory paperwork on my father that way and found in it what court, then wrote the clerk of the court for trial records - got that too.

          Art

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "J." <right2me2003@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to find information about Joseph Baricak who was sentenced to New Jersey state prison in July 1917. He was born 15 Mar 1871 and died in 1940. He is baried in Camden, NJ. He was residing in Camden at the time of the sentencing. I am try to find out what prison he was sent to, how long he served and if there was anything in the newspaper about why he was sent to prison. I just can't seem to find anything and I am not of member of the Newspaper Archive any longer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thank You
          > Jan

        • s
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
            Oops, Sorry i answered this so personal" sounding lol'
            I do this type lookup for people at ROAGK and didn't notice this was from a group, not a private email addy.
            If you care for me to look, shoot me an email at circa_1948@...
            I keep my searches in email rather than clog up group boards with all my correspondence.
            Sunny

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
              If the institution is defunct, older records are often handed over to the local historical society-.
              That is how I got my dad's 1917-1921 Ohio State Reformatory records. They sent me a large packet of several sheets:
              dad's admissions record (why incarcerated, incarceration date/release date), expense sheet/wages etc. Also info on the inmate he was
              arrested with and I got his prison info as well.
              The wonderful thing I found on that info is, back then they took what was called "ancestry information"
              and there is a LOT of info on other family members (mom, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) as well as the inmate,
              including but not limited to medical history/substance abuse etc. Obviously that can be really helpful.

              Over the years, in my own searching, I have accumulated much black sheep info (from records, books, internet info etc) I have transcribed to digital files so
              I can search my hard drive easily (just under 3 GB) on the chance I could some day help others in their search. As I come across other's
              info I just can't toss it away. Not sure why. So, when I see someone who can't find any sign of "uncle Joe" who was missing for 10 yrs with
              no trace and no one knows why, I check my files to see if I can help.
              This info includes in part: prison, asylum, inmate, mug shots & Bertillon records, wanted & missing posters, photos, poor/alms/work houses,
              orphanages, sanitariums, court records, road/prison camp, executions, convict ships info etc. The info covers all U.S. states and other countries as well.
              All time frames from 1400s to present but primarily 18th, 19th, 20th century.
              Sunny