Central European German migrations

  • mark_f_rabideau
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
      Hello all

      On one of the Yahoo groups in which I participate, I noticed that people seemed to be struggling a bit to understand when, where, and when Germans moved into Eastern Europe (including places like Pommerania, West Prussia, East Prussia). I have posted a VERY simple, map tutorial covering German and other Central European peoples migrations and/or locations before the World Wars.

      I hope this helps makes it a bit easier to understand and find what types of people may have lived near the areas you are researching.

      http://www.many-roads.com/2011/02/06/deutschen-mundarten-german-language/

      ...mark
    • Michael Maher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
        I'm not sure if my area of interest fits into your expertise... My interest
        is in learning the whys and hows of migration to the US from the German
        kingdoms/duchies in what is now northern Bavaria. My maternal
        g-grandparents left the Saxe-Coburg region (tiny village of Firmelsdorf) in
        the mid-1850s and went to Mendota, Illinois. The other maternal side left
        Luxembourg at about the same time and also went to Mendota. Both told the
        enumerator on the 1860 census that they were from Prussia. I am interested
        in why they left their countries of origin, why they went to Illinois, and
        why they both said Prussia??? In later censuses both families (at least
        their children) then told the enumerators "Luxembourg" and "Saxe-Coburg"
        (with assorted spellings). The surnames of interest are Jacob[s] and
        Reiter. If this is something you have knowledge of, I would appreciate any
        leads in the right direction (I do not speak or read German). Thanks in
        advance for any assistance.

        Mike

      • Mark F Rabideau
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
          Hi Michael

          Here are a bunch of German-Prussian histories:
          http://www.many-roads.com/libraries/prussia-histories/

          Many are in German, so it might be time to fix your German vocabulary
          issues, but some are in English.

          In order to determine a viable answer to your family circumstances/
          motivations for emmigration, you will need to understand local history
          for the communities from which your folks came. Almost certainly that
          will require reading German.

          You can start off your German-Prussian history awareness on wikipedia.
          It is a wonderful source of general information. Also you might want to
          view some of the web sites I have linked here:

          http://www.many-roads.com/link-directory/

          I hope this helps.

          Pax Vobiscum,
          ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

          Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
          Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
          phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
          member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
          Society
          "It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
          want him or whether you don’t."
          Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

          On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 08:29 -0500, Michael Maher wrote:

          > I'm not sure if my area of interest fits into your expertise... My
          > interest
          > is in learning the whys and hows of migration to the US from the
          > German
          > kingdoms/duchies in what is now northern Bavaria. My maternal
          > g-grandparents left the Saxe-Coburg region (tiny village of
          > Firmelsdorf) in
          > the mid-1850s and went to Mendota, Illinois. The other maternal side
          > left
          > Luxembourg at about the same time and also went to Mendota. Both told
          > the
          > enumerator on the 1860 census that they were from Prussia. I am
          > interested
          > in why they left their countries of origin, why they went to Illinois,
          > and
          > why they both said Prussia??? In later censuses both families (at
          > least
          > their children) then told the enumerators "Luxembourg" and
          > "Saxe-Coburg"
          > (with assorted spellings). The surnames of interest are Jacob[s] and
          > Reiter. If this is something you have knowledge of, I would appreciate
          > any
          > leads in the right direction (I do not speak or read German). Thanks
          > in
          > advance for any assistance.
          >
          > Mike

        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
            Does anyone translate German written in the old script? I have several letters from 1890's to 1900's I would love to read!
            TIA
            P. Ingles

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mark F Rabideau <genealogy@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael
            >
            > Here are a bunch of German-Prussian histories:
            > http://www.many-roads.com/libraries/prussia-histories/
            >
            > Many are in German, so it might be time to fix your German vocabulary
            > issues, but some are in English.
            >
            > In order to determine a viable answer to your family circumstances/
            > motivations for emmigration, you will need to understand local history
            > for the communities from which your folks came. Almost certainly that
            > will require reading German.
            >
            > You can start off your German-Prussian history awareness on wikipedia.
            > It is a wonderful source of general information. Also you might want to
            > view some of the web sites I have linked here:
            >
            > http://www.many-roads.com/link-directory/
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > Pax Vobiscum,
            > ...mark (Mark Rabideau)
            >
            > ManyRoads Family Genealogist (Rabideau-Henss Family)
            > Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
            > Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
            > phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
            > member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
            > Society
            > "It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
            > want him or whether you don’t."
            > Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)
            >

            > On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 08:29 -0500, Michael Maher wrote:
            >

            > > I'm not sure if my area of interest fits into your expertise... My
            > > interest
            > > is in learning the whys and hows of migration to the US from the
            > > German
            > > kingdoms/duchies in what is now northern Bavaria. My maternal
            > > g-grandparents left the Saxe-Coburg region (tiny village of
            > > Firmelsdorf) in
            > > the mid-1850s and went to Mendota, Illinois. The other maternal side
            > > left
            > > Luxembourg at about the same time and also went to Mendota. Both told
            > > the
            > > enumerator on the 1860 census that they were from Prussia. I am
            > > interested
            > > in why they left their countries of origin, why they went to Illinois,
            > > and
            > > why they both said Prussia??? In later censuses both families (at
            > > least
            > > their children) then told the enumerators "Luxembourg" and
            > > "Saxe-Coburg"
            > > (with assorted spellings). The surnames of interest are Jacob[s] and
            > > Reiter. If this is something you have knowledge of, I would appreciate
            > > any
            > > leads in the right direction (I do not speak or read German). Thanks
            > > in
            > > advance for any assistance.
            > >
            > > Mike

          • Mark F Rabideau