Re: 2 questions: the Houston Chronicle (TX)

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2011
      The Houston Chronicle (TX) is not on NewspaperArchive.com ,
      but you could try contacting the newspaper through its website
      http://www.chron.com/

      - Tom Knox

    • littledi1030@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2011
        You can get obit copies from local library Reference Dept. through "ILL" or inter library loan procedure. They can request a photo copy from the library in the city where death obit was published for a nominal fee anywhere from .10 a page to $1 a page. When in doubt always check with your local library Ref. Dept. You will be surprised with the info they can obtain for you. Many contain within the Dept. Genealogy areas that you would never expect.

        Was doing research for a cousins children. She had passed away and I knew nothing of her maternal grandparents, only that I remembered where they had lived in the city and last name. Enter Ref. Dept., City Directories found them on Street and their names,occupations and ages and children living at the address. By time I was done had them coming into the state of MI from WI from Canada from VT in 1700's.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Windy Smith" <mommawindy@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been just lurking so far. I live in the North Dallas/McKinney Texas
        > area.
        >
        > I have 2 questions for that I would like help on.
        >
        > I am looking for all the information I can get on the Mt Tabor Indian
        > Community located in Rusk County in Texas. In particularly Sarah Angelina
        > Thompson(b.1855) and her family. And any information on the Choctaw Indians
        > in the North East area of Texas.
        >
        > The other is how can I get a copy of 2 articles published in the Houston
        > Chronicle in July 1930, obit for Richard C Poston( b.1880). and one in Sept
        > of 1933 for Ward Poston (b.1918).
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Windy

      • J.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2011
          Mt. Tabor Indian Community

          "Ancestral Roll"

          NAME of ANCESTOR
          Degree of Community Indian Blood
          Date of Birth
          Date of Death
          Spouses Name
          Name of Indian Parent(s)
          xx
          Thompson, Sarah Angelina
          5/32 Choctaw
          3/2/1853
          (Blank)
          George Washington Humphrey
          John Thurston Thompson
          -------------------
          This link will give you other family members and siblings:

          http://www.redeaglejw.net/oldchahtaorg/ancestralroll.htm
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Windy Smith" <mommawindy@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been just lurking so far. I live in the North Dallas/McKinney Texas
          > area.
          >
          > I have 2 questions for that I would like help on.
          >
          > I am looking for all the information I can get on the Mt Tabor Indian
          > Community located in Rusk County in Texas. In particularly Sarah Angelina
          > Thompson(b.1855) and her family. And any information on the Choctaw Indians
          > in the North East area of Texas.
          >
          > The other is how can I get a copy of 2 articles published in the Houston
          > Chronicle in July 1930, obit for Richard C Poston( b.1880). and one in Sept
          > of 1933 for Ward Poston (b.1918).
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Windy

        • s
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2011
            some newspapers will do an archive search and send a copy to you.
            I've had them do so for no or minimal (postage) cost.
            sunny

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Windy Smith" <mommawindy@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have been just lurking so far. I live in the North Dallas/McKinney Texas
            > area.
            >
            > I have 2 questions for that I would like help on.
            >
            > I am looking for all the information I can get on the Mt Tabor Indian
            > Community located in Rusk County in Texas. In particularly Sarah Angelina
            > Thompson(b.1855) and her family. And any information on the Choctaw Indians
            > in the North East area of Texas.
            >
            > The other is how can I get a copy of 2 articles published in the Houston
            > Chronicle in July 1930, obit for Richard C Poston( b.1880). and one in Sept
            > of 1933 for Ward Poston (b.1918).
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Windy

          • s
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 22, 2011
              It is important to note that just because one newspaper is not on NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM, the same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states.
              Particularly obits. I never search there for a particular paper or town. only state and if i don't find what i want there I search all states.
              Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.
              Years ago when i first started at newspaperarchive I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
              Just an FYI
              Sunny

            • Larry Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
                Hello Windy,

                While me and my wife live in Johannesburg, South Africa, my mother lives in Carrollton, Tx. Our son, his wife and their two children live in Kempton Park not that far from us. If you want more information from me just ask. William P. Smith, his wife Carol and their daughter were our friends in Dallas.

                A fellow researcher,
                Larry Murphy