Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Looking for Willis/Almeda/Rena/Phoebe SODAN in NY

  • Pamela Curry
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
      I have been searching it feels like forever for the Sodan family. I did get an email from someone who did find Willis Sodan in a  1905 Hancock census. I did contact their town clerk and sure enough they do have him listed in a death record. The said he died in 1918 at the age of 52. A William Sodan filled in the info on the death record. Now his daughter Rena, my grandmother, and her sister Phoebe seems to be a problem. I did find them in  1920 and 1930 census records for homes in Troy, NY. Rena in the 1920 was listed as 13. That would place her birth at 1907. This is a problem. I have the marriage record. I listed it on ancestry. She has she was born 1/3/1913. My dad said they always celebrated her birthday in March. I dont understand that. She never talked about her family to my Dad, he said she was a very private person and they never asked. Isn't that odd? I believe Willis Sodan's parents were William Sodan and Cora Peck. The town clerks office
      said they only have Sodan listed that way on his death records, everything else on Sodan is spelt Soden. I stuck with the Sodan because thats how its listed on the marriage record. I still have not found Almeda/Almida/Media Brown anywhere. I do believe that my grandmother Rena and her sisters became orphans and thats why they ended up in these schools and homes. Also Willis is buried in Horton, Ny and at the time of his death he lived in Peakville, NY

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
        Hello,

        I have a suggestion of something that worked very well, incredibly well for me when I was starting my research.

        That is, I used Google. I'd enter a search string in this manner:

        "genealogy/ Connecticut/ Jesse Dutton"

        or in another instance, I might use

        " full name of person/ born (and give date of birth)"

        That part enabled me to start saving bookmarks. I started some of these personal bookmarks, saving the folders for them as Gen.Dutton/ Gen.Udall/ Gen. Soule/ Gen.Penfield, and so on.

        After I had accumulated such information, I began to make index cards on which I'd write person's name, date of birth, place of birth, date of death, place of death, and (if known) father's name and mother's name. After that I began to add them to my family tree at Ancestry.com

        When I ran into a few stumbling blocks, I had the inspiration to attempt to learn if so-and-so had enlisted in the service during the Civil War. For that, I was able to use the Ancestry.com search quite easily.

        Hope this helps you to pursue your own searches.

        Barbara D. Brill
      • Pamela Curry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
          pk thanks