Looking for Willis Sodan,Almeda Brown, Rena Sodan and Phobe Sodan in NY

  • Mama Dukes
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
      My grandmother was Rena Sodan, she married George Zeininger in Hancock NY. She listed on her marriage record her place of birth in Livingstion Manor NY and her parents as Willis Sodan and Almeda Brown. She had a sister Phobe too. I can not seem to trace her family or her history. She did not talk about her family with my Dad and she passed away in 1970 in Afton NY so I have no more info then that. I did try to use ancestry.com to find census records and stuff but I come up empty. Where did this family vanish too?
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
        bits & pieces from the internet -

        I presume that this is your Rena & George -
        Find-A-Grave
        Rena S (Sodan) Zeininger
        Birth: Mar. 3, 1919
        Death: Feb. 10, 1970
        Burial: Glenwood Cemetery, Afton, Chenango, NY
        (with picture of gravestone)
        <http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=zeininger&GSfn=rena&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSst=36&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=44148112&df=all&>
        same gravestone also has other names/dates:
        - George L Zeininger (1910-1969)
        - Georgiana I Smith (1944-2001)

        NOTE: Chenango County is adjacent to Delaware County
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nygenweb/county.htm

        Re Phoebe Sodan -
        http://www.dcnyhistory.org/oldnewsidx/marriageslinda12.html
        Book 12 of the Marriage Records Index, Delaware County, 1922
        Bride: Phoebe Sodan
        Bride Father: Willis Sodan
        Bride Mother: Media Brown
        Groom: Burton Edwards
        Groom Father: M. L.
        Groom Mother: Elmira Soules

        1930 Hancock, Delaware, New York
        Edwards, Burton G/32, Phoebe/32, Eddie B/5

        A birthdate discrepancy -
        A Public Member Tree on Ancestry.com has Rena & George's marriage certificate, dated 13 Sept 1943, and Rena's birthdate is listed as "1/3/1913" (note: George's bdate on the m/c doesn't match the above-mentioned gravestone either!).
        http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/677550/person/-1453792111?ssrc=

        Here's George, with his parents -
        1930 Hancock, Delaware, New York
        Zeininger, Henry/56, Inez N/53,
        (), William H/36, George L/17, Viola M/7, Ethel M/4

        older "SODAN" messages in this Group:

        > ... place of birth in Livingston Manor NY

        Livingston Manor is in Sullivan County (NY).
        NOTE: Sullivan County is adjacent to Delaware County.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Manor,_New_York

        Odd! I am NOT finding any censuses for surnames SOD*N or S*DAN (or even *DAN) that fits with Phoebe or Rena or Willis or Almeda!

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

        > My grandmother was Rena Sodan, she married George Zeininger in Hancock NY. She listed on her marriage record her place of birth in Livingstion Manor NY and her parents as Willis Sodan and Almeda Brown. She had a sister Phobe too. I can not seem to trace her family or her history. She did not talk about her family with my Dad and she passed away in 1970 in Afton NY so I have no more info then that. I did try to use ancestry.com to find census records and stuff but I come up empty. Where did this family vanish too?

      • Pamela Curry
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
          I have been searching it feels like forever for the Sodan family. I did get an email from someone who did find Willis Sodan in a  1905 Hancock census. I did contact their town clerk and sure enough they do have him listed in a death record. The said he died in 1918 at the age of 52. A William Sodan filled in the info on the death record. Now his daughter Rena, my grandmother, and her sister Phoebe seems to be a problem. I did find them in  1920 and 1930 census records for homes in Troy, NY. Rena in the 1920 was listed as 13. That would place her birth at 1907. This is a problem. I have the marriage record. I listed it on ancestry. She has she was born 1/3/1913. My dad said they always celebrated her birthday in March. I dont understand that. She never talked about her family to my Dad, he said she was a very private person and they never asked. Isn't that odd? I believe Willis Sodan's parents were William Sodan and Cora Peck. The town clerks office
          said they only have Sodan listed that way on his death records, everything else on Sodan is spelt Soden. I stuck with the Sodan because thats how its listed on the marriage record. I still have not found Almeda/Almida/Media Brown anywhere. I do believe that my grandmother Rena and her sisters became orphans and thats why they ended up in these schools and homes. Also Willis is buried in Horton, Ny and at the time of his death he lived in Peakville, NY

          I presume that this is your Rena & George -
          Find-A-Grave
          Rena S (Sodan) Zeininger
          Birth: Mar. 3, 1919
          Death: Feb. 10, 1970
          Burial: Glenwood Cemetery, Afton, Chenango, NY
          (with picture of gravestone)
          <http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=zeininger&GSfn=rena&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSst=36&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=44148112&df=all&>
          same gravestone also has other names/dates:
          - George L Zeininger (1910-1969)
          - Georgiana I Smith (1944-2001)

          NOTE: Chenango County is adjacent to Delaware County
          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nygenweb/county.htm

          Re Phoebe Sodan -
          http://www.dcnyhistory.org/oldnewsidx/marriageslinda12.html
          Book 12 of the Marriage Records Index, Delaware County, 1922
          Bride: Phoebe Sodan
          Bride Father: Willis Sodan
          Bride Mother: Media Brown
          Groom: Burton Edwards
          Groom Father: M. L.
          Groom Mother: Elmira Soules

          1930 Hancock, Delaware, New York
          Edwards, Burton G/32, Phoebe/32, Eddie B/5

          A birthdate discrepancy -
          A Public Member Tree on Ancestry.com has Rena & George's marriage certificate, dated 13 Sept 1943, and Rena's birthdate is listed as "1/3/1913" (note: George's bdate on the m/c doesn't match the above-mentioned gravestone either!).
          http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/677550/person/-1453792111?ssrc=

          Here's George, with his parents -
          1930 Hancock, Delaware, New York
          Zeininger, Henry/56, Inez N/53,
          (), William H/36, George L/17, Viola M/7, Ethel M/4

          older "SODAN" messages in this Group:

          > ... place of birth in Livingston Manor NY

          Livingston Manor is in Sullivan County (NY).
          NOTE: Sullivan County is adjacent to Delaware County.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Manor,_New_York

          Odd! I am NOT finding any censuses for surnames SOD*N or S*DAN (or even *DAN) that fits with Phoebe or Rena or Willis or Almeda!

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

          > My grandmother was Rena Sodan, she married George Zeininger in Hancock NY. She listed on her marriage record her place of birth in Livingstion Manor NY and her parents as Willis Sodan and Almeda Brown. She had a sister Phobe too. I can not seem to trace her family or her history. She did not talk about her family with my Dad and she passed away in 1970 in Afton NY so I have no more info then that. I did try to use ancestry.com to find census records and stuff but I come up empty. Where did this family vanish too?

        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
            Hello,

            I have a suggestion of something that worked very well, incredibly well for me when I was starting my research.

            That is, I used Google. I'd enter a search string in this manner:

            "genealogy/ Connecticut/ Jesse Dutton"

            or in another instance, I might use

            " full name of person/ born (and give date of birth)"

            That part enabled me to start saving bookmarks. I started some of these personal bookmarks, saving the folders for them as Gen.Dutton/ Gen.Udall/ Gen. Soule/ Gen.Penfield, and so on.

            After I had accumulated such information, I began to make index cards on which I'd write person's name, date of birth, place of birth, date of death, place of death, and (if known) father's name and mother's name. After that I began to add them to my family tree at Ancestry.com

            When I ran into a few stumbling blocks, I had the inspiration to attempt to learn if so-and-so had enlisted in the service during the Civil War. For that, I was able to use the Ancestry.com search quite easily.

            Hope this helps you to pursue your own searches.

            Barbara D. Brill
          • Pamela Curry
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
              pk thanks