Re: A Stubborn Brickwall: Catherine REESE? (b.1845 PA)

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2010
      Bob -

      Is Catherine REESE the name of the person you are looking for?
      Do you know if that was her birthname?
      Do you know if her name ever changed when she was fostered?
      Do you know the name of her foster family?
      Or have the censuses of her foster family?

      > ... John ... Henry ... Emma ...

      These are all common names - don't pin too much on the possible reasons for naming of children 'in honor of relatives': that's only circumstantial evidence anyway.

      Also - in your 'possible' in 1860 Philadelphia (with father named John and younger brother named John) -
      the census shows this Catherine as age 13 born BADEN (that's GERMANY).
      I would rank this Catherine as an 'unlikely match'.

      Your 1850 Adams County 'possible' Catherine (age 8, father Henry, older brother John) has a problem - I thought you said that her Death Certificate lists her father's name as JOHN?

      > (1860 census) ... Might the age be a mistake?

      Yes, certainly, the age could be a mistake; but then again, so could the birthplaces, or the NAMES! I think you made a mistake of looking ONLY for the spelling REESE - keep in mind that, especially in the early censuses, the enumerators sometimes wrote down what they THOUGHT they heard (ending up with some rather creative spellings!) AND the transcribers sometimes came up with creative spellings when they were trying to READ the enumerators' handwriting! So - I am suggesting that you might not have found 'your' Catherine yet in 1850-1860.

      I have a counter suggestion - look at 1850 Union County (PA) -
      Snyder County was formed from part of Union County -

      Hmm - how about this one?

      1850 Perry, Union, Pennsylvania
      Gorden, John/18, Mary/41, Henry/16, Willis/12, Rewlen/11
      Reas, Catharine/6 (originally indexed as REUS)
      Rumfeld, Christianna/78, Christena/32
      NOTE: "REAS" is my transcription of the surname.

      Let's try to follow this family forward -

      1860 West Perry, Snyder, Pennsylvania
      Gordon, John/28, Susan/24, Alice/5, Francis/3,
      (), Mary/50, Willis/22, Reuben/20
      Susan Forrey/76, Jacob Hulsopple/60

      Darn! No 16-year-old Catherine!

      Let's step back and tack a look at one of those Michigan censuses -

      > 1880 Penn, Cass, Michigan
      > Flury, Jacob/48, Catherine/35, Phillip H/15, Mary J/10, John J/2
      > Reus, Jonathan/58/brother-in-law

      Well, well, well!!! How amusing!
      Jonathan's last name is transcribed as REUS!
      (see my 1850 transcript, above)

      > 1870 Penn, Cass, Michigan
      > Flury, Jacob/30, Catherine/25, Henry/5, Emma/3, Almeda/1
      > Reese, Jonathan/35

      - Tom Knox ("Bloodhound")