Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Latest obituary collections added - 12-01-2010

  • george burnash
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 12/1/2010 4:18 PM, natalie garlock wrote:
      > Hello.......when I clicked on the link for the Pa. deaths I got a "free
      > for seven days" and then the next message was for my credit card
      > info......so much for being "free"! Natalie G

      Very odd as I went directly to the site, and then directly to a list of
      obituaries. Never saw even even remotely resembling a free trial,
      payment info, or anything asking for it.

      Sounds to me like there may be something else going on on your end with
      your browser. Perhaps an odd toolbar trying to make some extra funds in
      a not-so-nice way? There certainly isn't anything on the site asking
      for funds that I could see.

      George
      --
      ------------------------------------
      With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
        Many sites ask for that info when signing up for free trials.
        The reason they ask for billing information is to prevent users from abusing a FREE trial offer as it's the only way to validate honest users against users who repeatedly signup with false account information.
        Some people sign up multiple times for FREE trials falsifying their names, email addresses, etc. and it is unfair to TRUE customers who pay for it.
        In my own opinion, 2 other reasons SOME sites do so:
        1/ the have u set to auto recurring payments and u need to cancel on time or be auto billed (make sure to post free trial end date near your PC to remind u to cancel on time)
        2/they have a way to hound/spam you both online and off, to try and convince u to sign up permanently.
        Sunny

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi Natalie,
          You have to use the searchbox that was referenced in the email. It is the
          one that has the GenealogyBuff.com watermark in the searchbox and has the
          name of the database on the search button. Any other search box is
          probably a sponsor and does not belong to GenealogyBuff.com. They are
          there to help keep the website up and running.
          Hope this helps.
          Bill
          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM, natalie garlock <chickweed5@...>wrote:

> [...]
          > seven days" and then the next message was for my credit card info......so
          > much for being "free"! Natalie G
          >
          > --- On Wed, 12/1/10, cribbswh@... <cribbswh%40gmail.com> <
          > cribbswh@... <cribbswh%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          >
          > From: cribbswh@... <cribbswh%40gmail.com> <cribbswh@...<cribbswh%40gmail.com>
          > >
          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Latest obituary collections added -
          > 12-01-2010
          > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
          >

          > Hi all,
          > Here is the latest list of obituary and death notices collections that
          > have been added at GenealogyBuff.com.
          > All of the collections are absolutely free. If you use the
          > watermarked searchbox that has the name of the county
          > collection on the search button, you won't be clicking on a sponsor.
          >
          > Note: the Canadian Obituary Collection search box was found to be
          > non-functional. This has been repaired and is now
          > working very nicely!
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/canada-bbs/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > Here's the list:
          >
          > CALIFORNIA - San Mateo County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ca/sanmateo/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > CONNECTICUT - Litchfield County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ct/litchfield/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > DELAWARE - New Castle County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/de/newcastle/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > FLORIDA - Levy County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/fl/levy/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > GEORGIA - Tattnall County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ga/tattnall/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > KANSAS - Leavenworth County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ks/leavenworth/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > KENTUCKY - Muhlenberg County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ky/muhlenberg/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > MASSACHUSETTS - Essex County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ma/essex/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > NEW YORK - Allegany County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/ny/allegany/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > OHIO - Licking County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/oh/licking/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > OHIO - Southern Ohio Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/oh/southern/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > PENNSYLVANIA - Pennsylvania Statewide Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/pa/state/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > PENNSYLVANIA - Jefferson County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/pa/jefferson/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > SOUTH CAROLINA - South Carolina Statewide Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/sc/state/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > TENNESSEE - Eastern Tennessee Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/tn/eastern/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > TENNESSEE - Loudon County Obituary Collection
          > http://www.genealogybuff.com/tn/loudon/webbbs_config.pl
          >
          > That's it for now! Happy holiday season! Merry Christmas and Happy New

          Bill Cribbs
          GenealogyBuff.com
          http://www.genealogybuff.com
          Fax: 1-832-553-2796

        • natalie garlock
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
            Hi    To both of you that answered my question...Thank you.  The guy that I am looking for wasn't listed anyway.  Not that I am surprised....can't find him anywhere "officially"...yet.

            Bill Cribbs
            GenealogyBuff.com
            http://www.genealogybuff.com
            Fax: 1-832-553-2796

          • natalie garlock
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
              George,  when I clicked on the blue box that said "search" that's when another board came up on the site and asked for the credit card info.....I followed Paula's directions and got the free board.........      Don't you think that the Ancestry. Com ads on TV are misleading?  Every time one comes on, I get irritated...it is so misleading...........            Natalie

            • cribbswh@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                Dear Natalie,
                The search boxes that belong to each collection will have the name of the
                county. For example, on a Franklin County Obituary Collection, the search
                button will say "Search Franklin Co. Obits" on the gray button. The search
                window will have a faint watermark that says "GenealogyBuff.com". All of
                the other search engines are going to be from a sponsor.
                Hope this helps.
                Bill

                On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM, natalie garlock <chickweed5@...>wrote:

                > George, when I clicked on the blue box that said "search" that's when
                > another board came up on the site and asked for the credit card info.....I
                > followed Paula's directions and got the free board......... Don't you
                > think that the Ancestry. Com ads on TV are misleading? Every time one comes
                > on, I get irritated...it is so misleading........... Natalie
                >
                > --- On Wed, 12/1/10, george burnash <gburnash@...<gburnash%40earthlink.net>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: george burnash <gburnash@... <gburnash%40earthlink.net>>
                > Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Latest obituary collections added -
                > 12-01-2010
                > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:34 PM
                >

                > On 12/1/2010 4:18 PM, natalie garlock wrote:
                > > Hello.......when I clicked on the link for the Pa. deaths I got a "free
                > > for seven days" and then the next message was for my credit card
                > > info......so much for being "free"! Natalie G
                > >

                > Very odd as I went directly to the site, and then directly to a list of
                > obituaries. Never saw even even remotely resembling a free trial,
                > payment info, or anything asking for it.
                >
                > Sounds to me like there may be something else going on on your end with
                > your browser. Perhaps an odd toolbar trying to make some extra funds in
                > a not-so-nice way? There certainly isn't anything on the site asking
                > for funds that I could see.
                >
                > George
                > --

                Bill Cribbs