Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: How Can I Get Others Involved

  • Mol Lynch
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 28, 2010

      I would be upfront with them.  Tell them that you've been taken advantage of in
      the past and as a result you no longer automatically share/send your research.
       I would share something and/or describe what you have on the topic and explain
      that you would gladly exchange additional info and ask them a couple of question
      such as where they've searched and what they've found.    Then see how they
      respond.   Or, you could just direct them to where they could find info and give
      them tips such as an unusual name spelling [for example the census  for one my
      ancestors  used  a   spelling  that I’ve only seen once.]

      ________________________________
      From: Judy Ardine <downeast@...>
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 7:25 AM

      Along a similar line: how do you handle it when someone DOES contact you

      for information about the surname(s) you are researching? So many times

      I've responded w/a lot of information, sometimes don't even receive a thank

      you, and almost never do they share back w/what they have on their

      particular ancestor who fits in or w/anything from their line of that

      surname at all.

      How do you determine what and how much to send to whet their appetite AND

      entice them to share information on their link?

      Back "in the days" there were so many excellent free forums where one could

      post their information and find other folks' information and we were able

      to easily make connections and share information. But then ancestry began

      buying up all the "freebies" and using that information we shared and

      posted. Often credit was not given for the work researchers had done on

      their line but rather had their information "borrowed" and presented as if

      it was the work of the "borrower". It is easy to get discouraged and so not

      freely share information any more because so much of your work is gobbled

      up by others w/o their sharing their own.

    • Joseph
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 31, 2010
        I have one 40 year old brick wall. My grandmother who was born on August 10,
        1895. She was adopted out in 1900 to the Sponsler family who lived in Union
        Bridge, MD. The adoptive parents were Samuel Hamilton Sponsler (b-1828), and
        his wife, Mary E. Munshour (b-1849). My grandmother was Mary Elizabeth 'Sponsler"

        My grandmother had told me that her parents surnames were Pittinger (Pittenger)
        and Furry... but if she'd told me which was which, it's been long lost.

        A genealogist near here tells me that in Maryland at that time, to enter school,
        they had to have the biological parent's names. He said if I can locate the
        school records of 1901 (she was 6 then), her biological parents should be listed.

        However, I've spent a year now (on and off) trying to find those school records
        from all over Frederick County, MD., but can find nothing...

        If anyone can help with this, it would be so greatly appreciated.

        Joseph