Re: Need Research Ideas

  • kay f
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2010
      Here are a couple of ideas that might work. 1. If you don't have paid subscription to Ancestry.com for home use, go to the library where you can use theirs. Look for City Directories. 2. Try reading local histories of the city from that time period also, you can usually find them on Heritage Quest, also through your library. Google Books may also have some Local History records as well. 3. Post on genealogy message boards with names and dates, you will be surprised who might have information. 4. Check cemetery records at findagrave.com checking for families buried in the same cemetery, many are now cross-linked to show family association.5. footnote.com is also good source for information. They are now owned by Ancestry.com so there will be fees but sometimes they run free specials. I don't know if the libraries are now offering access to this as well as ancestry.com.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "shannonlind" <sdlind@...> wrote:

      > Where to turn???
      >
      > I'm banging my head against a brick wall and I need some new ideas….
      >
      > Where do you turn when a family seems to have left no records? I have a family that shows up in the 1850 census. The HOH is a shoemaker and they have no real estate value listed (assuming that they own no real estate). The other members of the household are his wife and a small son. I haven't been able to find them in any other censuses.
      >message stripped
      >

      > Any ideas MUCH appreciated!

    • flints
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2010
        Look at your history lessons. You may never be able to find
        this family for the 1860 time frame. The country was in
        turmoil with the civil war (and events leading up to it),
        and some intentionally didn't want to be found or kept a low
        profile (were they helping runaway slaves? or other reasons
        to keep off the government's "radar") Sometimes sickness
        took the whole family out (I've a brother-in-law who's dad
        grew up w/his grandparents and no other family members...FT
        Knox, KY, 1917 time frame...looking at history, I'm thinking
        influenza killed off his family.) Sometimes we won't know
        for sure, but looking at historical events can give us a
        "guestimate"

        Another thought...look for wierd spellings the census worker
        might have used. A name in our family tree was Crottier. I
        finally found it under "Groateer"

        Liz in VA
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2010
          Hi Guys!  How common or (uncommon I am sure) would it have been for a married
          couple to get a divorce in Arkansas (the south) during the 1860's.  (at that
          time they lived around the Helena, Phillips County, Arkansas area.)  It would
          have been between 1869-1870 time frame.  I realize that that is right in the
          midst of the Civil War, etc.  I really thought during that era it was considered
          a disgrace to get a divorce especially for the woman.  She would have been
          considered "loose" etc.

          I am sure the records for divorces then are harder to research than any other
          records.  Probably non existent! : (

          Let me know what you think!

          Thanks!
          Jenni

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2010
            not non existant.
            would u like to share who u r looking for so we can look?
            sunny

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2010
              I have some records I can search.
              Are you positive of the decade?
              I noticed "Coe" in your email addy; is that the last name u r looking into?
              If so, are they Coe, John S vs nancy J. ?
              Thanks
              Sunny

            • Jean S
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2010
                Also, in some states there are the state census records (sometimes called state tax rolls). These are short census that are taken for the state's statistics and other things, but they are done "on the 5's".. ie: 2005, 2015 etc...
                This is how I was, finally, able to narrow down when GGGM-in-law was committed to an in Topeka State Hospital and was able to obtain some records (sterilized), and copies of a few letters from other family members to both her and her doctor. It actually states on her release papers "Paroled", so we know that the family story was probably true.

                Anyway, here is one of the links to check to see if the state you need has any records (both available to the public and if that state/county had digitalized it and put it online for public viewing:

                http://publicrecords.netronline.com/default.aspx

                There are many other ways to find out if the state/county/city (town?) has any public records and that they are available online..
                One way is to check thru Cindi's List (http://cyndislist.com/), find the area in question and see if there was a tax list/assessors/ State Census (Kansas State Census started 1855, for instance).

                Just a thought.

                Happy wall banging!! The more you bang the more likeliy something will fall out! Just think about the joys when you can stop banging because you broke throu that wall! I know I was estatic when I confirmed that GGGM was committed to that hospital!. lol

                If you do not have Ancestry.com, you can either go for their 14-day free trial (if you haven't already done that!) or let me know and I'll be more than happy to check to see if anything is there. I will need a few more of the details.. like: the specific dates and places that are known or suspected)

                Jean

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kay f" <kay_fredricks@...> wrote:

                > Here are a couple of ideas that might work. 1. If you don't have paid subscription to Ancestry.com for home use, go to the library where you can use theirs. Look for City Directories. 2. Try reading local histories of the city from that time period also, you can usually find them on Heritage Quest, also through your library. Google Books may also have some Local History records as well. 3. Post on genealogy message boards with names and dates, you will be surprised who might have information. 4. Check cemetery records at findagrave.com checking for families buried in the same cemetery, many are now cross-linked to show family association.5. footnote.com is also good source for information. They are now owned by Ancestry.com so there will be fees but sometimes they run free specials. I don't know if the libraries are now offering access to this as well as ancestry.com.
                >
                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "shannonlind" <sdlind@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Where to turn???
                > >
                > > I'm banging my head against a brick wall and I need some new ideas….
                > >
                > > Where do you turn when a family seems to have left no records? I have a family that shows up in the 1850 census. The HOH is a shoemaker and they have no real estate value listed (assuming that they own no real estate). The other members of the household are his wife and a small son. I haven't been able to find them in any other censuses.
                > >message stripped
                > >

                > > Any ideas MUCH appreciated!

              • Jenni
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2010
                  Hi Sunny,
                    No the names are very different.  But good try!  You sound like me trying to
                  search for any clue I can get!! : )
                    Here is the info-   Nancy J. Berry Bankston Rogers (or Rodgers) married to
                  Joseph Rogers /Rodgers.  (I have never seen them together in any census in the
                  same household).
                    Nancy J. Rogers (Rodgers) is in the 1870 census of Phillips County, Arkansas
                  in Searcy Township aged 24 with her 2 children.  By themselves.  The children
                  are Ida aged 4 and Berry aged around 6 months.  Nancy is stated to be a farmer.
                  Nancy J. Rogers (Rodgers) are and 2 children are all born in Arkansas.
                    Ok-  on the SAME Census about 10 lines down in a totally different household
                  there IS a Joseph Rogers farmer aged 29 with 2 single males also in their 20's.
                  The 2 single males are from Germany (or somewhere like that I can't
                  remember.)  The 2 single males are laborers.

                    S0- if this Joseph Rogers (Rodgers) IS her husband what is the deal with him
                  living in a totally separate household as the head of house hold???  (My Rogers
                  ancestors drive me crazy- they really do not like to give up information very
                  easily! LOL
                    Thanks Sunny for trying to help.
                    Jenni : )